Chapter Four | Jealousy

Author's Note:

Hello Berries... Sorry we haven't uploaded for a long time... We will try to upload every other week from now so hope you enjoy~! <3 

Edward's POV:

My muscles tense and I grit my teeth as I realise what I've done. 

I should've turned up instead of August. They were awfully close... Thoughts crash one on top of another, a deafening sound like a waterfall of insecurity.

"Edward, please answer question B12?" Mrs Julian says standing tall right in front of the class. "12⁴...?" I reply, internally berating myself when she announces almost triumphantly that I am wrong in front of the whole class. 

"Wrong, Edward." Mrs Julian states matter-of-factly. 

The whole class snickers and murmurs as I put my head down on my desk and drown in their mocking laughter.

Emma's POV:

I hurry back into the classroom, thoughts of August swimming in my head. 

I enter the classroom and mutter a quick apology. The teacher stares at me with an incredulous look. 

The class goes on once more, my body relaxing at the sound of my teacher's droning voice. 

August's POV: 

I felt bad for her. She obviously liked Edward, anyone could see it in her eyes.  It wounded my soul seeing someone getting hurt. Especially like that. 

I almost wonder how Edward's feeling. Would he have thought of the consequences? Of someone getting their heart shattered? Probably not. Edward was like that. Always oblivious. 

I sigh thinking about it. I have the urge to go up to him- to talk to him, to show my disapproval and disdain. But I can't bring myself to do it. I just can't. 

Emma's POV: 

I walk out of the classroom. My eyes are puffy and swollen and my clothes are only half dried. I walk around the school feeling like a complete idiot. 

Then I see him. 

Edward has an austere expression painted on his face. He's not as carefree as he usually is- not with his large group of friends, joking around and chatting away. He's just there, walking, his eyes fixed on the ground. 

I don't know what to do. 

My heart doesn't flutter like it usually does. I don't blush anymore. Instead I stare at him, my jaw clenched and my heart throbbing painfully inside. 

He looks almost pitiable, with his head hanging low. I don't give in. I steadily take a slow breath, and force my gaze elsewhere. I walk forward, trying to forget about Edward. 

Edward's POV: 

She was there, looking at me. 

I want to be modest, to tell her, but I just knew what I had to say wouldn't change her mind. It was insatiable, it would sound stupid. So instead, I just stand there. 

I feel like a dunce. I couldn't even talk to her. I am a coward, and I excel at being one. I hate seeing her hurt. 

I really do. 

August's POV: 

Edward keeps his distance all day. It feels almost eccentric; Edward's carefree, happy-go-lucky temperament seems to have disappeared- vanished. He looks static; often spacey and confounded. I shake my head and sigh.  

I walk down the corridor, talking long strides. Edward's mood seems to have caught up to me- all I want to do is get out of this place. The plastered walls seems to be closing in and I feel like i'm about to faint. The walk to my next class feels interminable. I shake my head lightly, and keep walking. 

I reach my next class just in time, sitting down. Already, the teacher was beginning to write on the board (Properties of Living Systems) and students were chatting in harsh whispers. I look out the window, which were covered by curtains sheer enough to see through. I watch as students walk by hurriedly. 

Then I see Emma. Her hair is damp and had turn into a dark golden. Our eyes met- hers widening at first, but her face visibly softening at the sight of me. She smiled lightly and waves. I give her a quick grin, then refocuses back on the board in front of me. 

I can't quite forget that moment for the rest of the lesson. 

Kathy's POV:

Walking home, Emma seems distracted by something. I can tell she's confused- she has that look when she bites her lip and her forehead creases. 

"Hey, what are you thinking about?" 

"Oh nothing," she replies bluntly. 

"Emma," I say, coming to a halt. "Anything on your mind?" 

"Oh, no. Not at all," she says. 

I almost laugh at her stupidity. She thinks I'm that daft. But I decide to give it a rest. 

"Okay then. If there's anything bothering you-" 

"I'll be sure to tell you," she finished, smiling slightly. 

I smile back, brushing it off. Emma will tell me when she feels like it. I ignore the oncoming thoughts, and continue walking.