Chapter Fourteen | Explanations and Excuses

A/N: 

hello everyone! we are trying to post more regularly and so far we are off to a good start! thanks for reading this chapter, hope you enjoy ૮꒰˶• ༝ •˶꒱ა ~♡︎ 

Emma's P.O.V

There she was, standing with her face red and flushed. Kathy had ran to get here. A small smile creeped up on my face. 

"Emma," she said in her best attempt of a stern voice. "You owe me an explanation. The whole story. Do not leave anything out," she said, with extra emphasis on the 'not'. 

"Okay, yeah." I opened the door for her to enter. She dropped her bag on the floor, swearing lightly at her heavy bag. 

Then after a few momentary silences, she looked at me. 

"So?" 

I lead her to my room, with a mild fear someone would be watching. 

She sat down on the chair, and I sat down at the edge of my bed, as I did a mere few hours ago. 

"Kathy-" I tried to start. 

"Emma, how could you do something like this, again? After all those times I told you- which is a lot of times- you just can't seem to listen and get yourself into all this mess!" She said as if she was exhaling after taking in a long, deep breath. 

"I didn't even mean anything by that hug! It was supposed to be friendly thing!" I said in defence of myself. 

She gave me an exasperated look. "Emma, please, don't you see how funny all of this is? You like Edward first, then suddenly you don't, and all of a sudden this August pops out of nowhere and you're already falling in love with him. Don't even get me started on that kiss. Then, halfway through recess, as I am sitting alone, wondering where the hell you are, I see this post, of you hugging my brother, which does not look like a friendly hug at all." 

"I-" I tried to explain, but no words would come out. 

"I don't understand what you are trying to do, Emma. I don't want any excuses anymore," she said in a lighter tone. 

"Kathy-" I took a breath. 

"If it helps, tell me about Edward first," she said, her voice steady and calm. 

I took another breath. "I don't want the thing between us to change. I think our friendship is enough. But I did have a crush on him. And maybe I still do. Sometimes I see him and I forgot about what he's done," I said as calmly as I could. 

Kathy nods understandingly. 

"Edward is... nice. He's a good person but I-" 

"You don't know if you guys could ever commit?" she said, completing my sentence. 

I gave a small nod. 

"And how about August?" she asked. 

"He's a sweet guy. He's gentle and nice and caring, he's all you could ever want, you know?" 

Kathy looked away at this comment. 

"But I just can't see myself with him, not right now. Especially with all this going on. Maybe in the future, one day," I said, feeling my cheeks tinge a light pink. 

She must've noticed because she gave me a small, uneasy smile. 

"What about Edward, though? Just friends?" she asked. 

"I-" I pause for a moment. I don't want to say the wrong thing. But I have to tell the truth. "I think so. Just friends. It'll be the best. For all of us." 

 "I guess so," she said after a short while. 

A brief lapse of silence fills the room and slowly, awkwardness creeps up on us. 

Kathy clears her throat. 

I look at her, a small and guilty smile on my face. 

"It's not everyday someone discusses their best friend's love life," she said laughing lightly. "Though it's becoming a normal conversation for us, isn't it?" 

I blush, embarrassed. 

"You have so many admirers it's getting hard to count now," she adds smiling. 

"I do not," I argued, my face turning redder by the second. "Only," I pause getting even more flustered. "A few," I finished, turning away from Kathy in sheer embarrassment. 

She threw her head back in laughter. 

"Don't laugh! One day we'll have a conversation about your love life," 

She shook her head plainly, and said with a smile on her face, "No, I don't think so." 

"Why not?" I whined. "Plenty of people are interested in you," I said smugly. 

She snorted and laughed. "You say it like it's actually true." 

"It is!" I said, nudging her on the shoulder. "I notice people staring, Kath." 

"At you, probably," she said, grinning. 

I rolled my eyes, playing along. 

"Anyways, I should probably go now," she said, standing up. 

I nodded, a little upset. 

"Are you coming to school tomorrow?" she asked before leaving. 

"Maybe," I said. "Probably." 

"Okay then," she said, clicking her tongue. "Bye," she said hugging me lightly. "Don't let the post get to you, okay?" 

"Yep," I said, reassuring her, and myself. 

I wave goodbye to her and as I close the door, I sigh in great relief. 

What a day. 

***

I get a call the next morning from a number I've never seen. I let the ringtone keep playing as I stretch over my bed to read the phone. 

I sigh and pick up.

"Hello?", I ask, confused. 

"Emma?"

"Yeah- who are you?" I ask 

...

"Who are you exactly?" My voice wavers slightly. No one calls me much, except for Kathy. 

"Emma," the voice whispers in an uncertain tone. "I... I'm-"