Chapter 43: Lovers

Ava's POV

3 weeks later

"Daddy!" Nicholas yells as soon as he sees Ace step into the house.

It's the first time I've seen him look so happy. Ever since I brought him home from the hospital both he and Serafina have been acting differently. I already knew why they were acting differently. I don't even know what happened while they were with Dimitri.

Every time I try to ask them, they quickly cover their ears.

"Careful, daddy isn't as strong as he looks," I say to Nicholas.

Nicholas looks up at me and his face quickly goes from a smile to a pout.

"Don't tell me what to do!" he shouts before running up the stairs.

I stand there shocked, "I-I don't know what's wrong with them."

Ace turns to me and cups my cheeks, "It's okay anymore. I'll talk to them. I'm sure everything is okay."

I nod and he walks away to find Nicholas.

Serafina barely leaves her room.

I thought that everything would off been perfect after Ace woke up. I thought we would become and happy family but nothing is okay.

I don't know what I was thinking. I don't even know what my children went through with Dimitri.

I feel like I'm going crazy.

Ace's POV

I walk up the stairs until I reach the twin's room.

I take a deep breath before knocking.

"Nick, can I come in?" I quietly say.

There's no answer so I open the door.

Both Nicholas and Serafina are in bed and Nick has his arm draped over Fina. I gently smile I walk inside but when I reach the bed I see that Nick's eyes are wide open and he has tears streaming down his face.

I sit on the bed careful not to wake Fina up, "What's wrong?"

He slowly removes his hand from Fina's waist and sits up on the bed.

"Mommy didn't come for us. She left us there for a long time and didn't care," he says in his broken English and my heart melts.

He's only six yet he sounds much older.

I slowly pick him up and put him on my lap, Mommy did look for and she spend every day trying to find him. It made her very sad when she couldn't find you."

"Then how come it took her so long? I was so scared and Fina was always crying," he says looking at me.

I smile and rub his back, "The bad guys were hiding you. We couldn't find you. Mommy loves you both so much. She was always sad when she shouldn't find you."

"Are the bad guys going to get us again?" he asks with tears in his eyes.

I immediately pull him in for a hug, "Never again. Mommy and I will always protect you."

I hear sniffling from Fina, "Promise?"

"I promise," I whisper.

I lay down next to Fina and put Nicholas beside me.

"You guys wanna take a short nap? We can get ice cream afterward." I ask and they both nod in response.

They both put their heads on my arm and I pull them closer before closing my eyes.