Chapter 4: Sold

Ava's POV

I had no clue why my father sounded so angry on the phone.

He didn't even bother to greet me, which wasn't unusual seeing as he hated my guts for not being a son and instead a daughter, but this time seemed to be more hostile than normal.

I knew the only reason he tolerated my sister at all was because she married another incredibly powerful man, gaining my father millions of dollars and an alliance. And since I refused to do anything related to the mafia, he hated me even more.

I had three siblings in total. My two brothers, my sister, and then me being the youngest. I was apparently the useless one because I was already over 18 and I still wasn't married yet.

The whole issue was that even if I did agree to marry, I wouldn't get to marry a person of my choice.

As I opened the door and walked into the mansion, the first thing I heard was echoing voices arguing.

"Shit what the hell is going on," I muttered, panicking. I could hear my older brother Victor and my father arguing with each other.

"You can't just marry her off to your rival! Who she marries isn't up to you!" yelled Victor.

Marriage? Panic was rising in my heart. Marriage for who? My sister was already married which left me being the only "her".

"Of course, it is my decision. I am her father. She obeys me. The Vitiello are becoming more and more powerful as each day goes by. And lucky for me his son Ace needs to get married. What did you think I would do? Let the offer pass!" he roared back at my brother.

"Father, they are our rivals! You marry her off and you guarantee a life of her being mistreated by their hands!" he yelled back with pain in his voice.

My father started laughing hysterically as if Victor made a hilarious joke.

"Do you think I give a shit about what happens to her? I will benefit from it. She's just doing what she was born to do. Serve her father!"

Please. This can't be happening to me.

"I will not allow this, father. As the heir of our mafia, I object. She is not an object!" he shouted.

A sharp sound resounded through the area, and I flinched. I realized my father had slapped my brother, and crept out of my spot to find him lying on the floor with blood dripping from his lips.

"This is my final decision. Your sister will get married to Ace!" he roared. Me? Marriage. No.

I rushed out of hiding and in front of my father.

I yelled as though my life depended on these words, which it did. "PLEASE, FATHER! I don't want to get married! I want to stay here. Mother would never allow this! I will do anything you ask! Please don't make me marry h-"

I blinked and suddenly I was on the floor with my brother. My father slapped me. Hard. There was blood dripping fast from my top lip.

"Well, your mother is dead, and even if she were alive it wouldn't matter. This is not a question! You will marry him!" he roared back.

Just then, my brother Louis and sister Bella rushed in. They glanced at us lying on the floor with shocked faces and quickly ran to me.

"What the fuck happened and why are you both bleeding?" he hollered.

My father didn't care. Didn't even blink at the mess.

"Your dear sister Ava is getting married to Ace Vitiello. The marriage is tomorrow. And no one can stop this from happening. I expect you all to behave unless you want to go to the basement." And just like that, he walked out of the room and sealed my future without my permission.