Chapter 42: Amore

Ava's POV

I see Davina coming up to Lucas and me with my children next to her, "Ava? Where's Ace?"

I immediately look down. I can't do this.

"He's still in there. The firemen are looking for him." Lucas says, answering the question for me.

Her eyes immediately filled with tears, "He's alive though, right?"

I don't answer.

Lucas doesn't answer.

She closes her eyes and sighs, "Oh."

"I'm sorry. It's all my fault." I whisper.

She shakes her head, "It's not. Ace chose love. He chose you."

He chose me. And now he might not make it.

"Let's go home. If they find something out they will let us know." Lucas says.

I quickly shake my head, "I'm not leaving! There is no way I'm leaving here knowing that Ace is hurt. He's in there because of me. Because he chose my life over his."

"Ava-"

One of the firemen, "Sir! We found a body. A body and someone alive but injured!"

A body.

My heart drops.

"Can we have someone identify the body?" the fireman asks.

I step forward, "I'll do it."

Lucas hesitates, "Are you sure? I can-"

"I'm sure. I'll do it." I say cutting him off.

He nods and the fireman leads me to the ambulances. There are two which means one of them has the love of my life inside. He could either be dead or alive.

"Right this way." the fireman says.

He leads me to the body which is covered with a sheet.

"I'll give you a few minutes."

And with that, he walks away.

I face the body and take a deep breath.

"Please. Don't do this." I whisper to myself.

I slowly remove the sheet and my eyes fill with tears. The body is burned, but I can tell. Tears stream down my face and I cover my mouth and sob.

I quickly cover the body and run to the other ambulance.

I go up to one of the firemen, "Please! Please open the door!"

She looks worried for a second before nodding and opening the ambulance door.

I climb inside it and freeze at the sight.

Ace is laying down on the gurney. He's hurt.

Bandages cover his body and he has a breathing machine to help his breathing. I sat down next to him.

"Ma'am, only immediate family-"

"I'm his wife," I say cutting the fireman off.

He nods and closes the door.

I quickly take my phone out and send a text to Lucas and Davina letting them know that he is alive and that we are headed to the hospital.

I know it's selfish of me not to go back and tell them in person.

But I can't leave. I can't leave him alone. I won't do it again. I left once and I'll never leave him again.

I put my hand on his and rub it, "You're okay. Thank you for coming back to me. Thank you for not leaving. I love you so much."