『salve for the wounds

Start from the beginning

"It wasn't right of me," he admits, but his gaze still remains on you. He won't shy away from his transgressions. "When I was assigned to you, I had thought that the 'world advisor' was too big a title for just one person. Yet when I met you, I realized why you were given this grand responsibility. I understood why the previous Avatar trusted you like his right-hand, why all the world leaders did as well. Your intelligence is beyond anything I have ever seen."

"But?" You tire of his compliments, wanting nothing more than to understand his reasoning for the betrayal. 

"And then you had an ex who frankly was quite boneheaded about matters concerning your feelings. I'm sorry I intercepted his endeavors. For someone who I admired, I felt as if you deserved better than someone who cannot understand you like how I did..." The last of his words are said quietly.

You frown, "Hieu--"

"I am sorry, [Name]. After you disappeared, the shame I felt for what I did led me to take up my acolyte life. I repented day and night, and I prayed for your safe passage to the other side."

"You thought me dead?"

"I lost hope." Regret twists his expression, "I thought you were gone forever."

You scratch your cheek. "I see. It's understandable. The manner in which I left was inconceivable, and I was gone for a while."

"But Iroh still had hope. He may have been resigned and less foolhardy, but he never gave up on you. That I saw before I returned to my home village."

You hum while your lips form a small smile. "Hieu, do you know why I chose Iroh in the first place? Why we started our relationship? I feel as if I never told you about my past."

He shakes his head. "No, I was not aware why."

Reminiscing brings you the fondest of recollections. "I ran away from my mom's clutches while he ran away from his title. We met and went on a year-long adventure, traveling all over the world. Our perspectives changed, we changed as people, and our bond grew incredibly deep. Sure, Iroh was an idiot when it came to love. Immature too!"

"Why did you choose him then?"

You think back on all those moments that made you fall hard for the boy. "The bond I have with him is something indescribable. On that adventure, he pushed me to travel outside of my comfort zone while I pushed him to evolve into the man he wanted to be. This love we have for one another transcends all matters."

His eyes are listless as he asks, "If I had been the one on your adventure, would things have been different?"

You don't even need to give the question thought. "No, because you are not Iroh. The boy he was then was what I needed to understand human connection. He broke my boundaries, he made me his friend, and he showed me what it's like to form genuine relationships. And then I discovered what it was to love someone fully. However, immaturity and stupidity made him unaware of our problems."

Hieu takes in your comment and notices the fondness in your tone. You speak with an eternal love for him where no person can interfere. It's evident that he never had a chance in breaking this bond you have with Iroh, and that marriage was a natural progression upon your return. 

Resignation is his next emotion as he knows where his place is now. "If I had stayed and not divulged in a monastic life, I'd be more upset than I am now. However, I've come to terms with many things during my journey as an acolyte. Your return is a gift enough. I just hope you can forgive my erroneous judgment and actions."

You nod your head. "It caused me a lot of grief, but I'm at a point in my life where I am in no mood to hold a grudge over the past. I do forgive you, Hieu, but I don't think I can ever trust you in that way again."

He sighs with acceptance. "I can understand."

"Now, why did you bring your whole convent here?" You lean forward to rest your head on your palm. "It was such a surprise."

"When they heard of my plight, they knew this was my path to reach a certain level of spirituality I was missing, and so they joined me to support my attempt at reconciliation and forgiveness," he explains but pauses before smiling meekly. "Also, they are big fans of yours and would like to meet you."

You laugh boisterously at his honesty as you begin to rise from your chair. "Is that so?! Haha! Shall I sign some autographs since they're here?"

He stands while chuckling along, "We shouldn't get attached to worldly possessions so it may not be a good idea to idolize an autograph."

"Nonsense, I'm sure that they can keep this a secret from their higher power," you joke as you open the door. Yet when you exit your study, you notice Iroh walking down the hallway towards you with a gift in one hand and flowers in the other.

You freeze when he spots Hieu by your side, his eyes widening with amazement. For a moment, you anticipate a very jealous Iroh to emerge as he tends to be extremely possessive since the beginning of time. 

As time passes, Iroh's surprise turns into one of welcoming glee. "Hieu! What a shock it is to see you. How are you?! I hope you've been well!" He shuffles the gift onto the flowers while he extends his available hand to shake Hieu's dubious hand.

"Yes, all is well. I hope I'm not intruding on any previous plans."

Iroh doesn't seem the least bit angry as his jovial self sparkles. "No, no! I've just come back from Republic City to see my wife for the weekend. Are you staying long? Do you want to join us for dinner to catch up?"

"That is a grand honor, but I don't want to impose."

"I'm sure [Name] would love to talk to you and the rest of your group too. I saw them nearby, and I was wondering from what tribe they hailed from, but man, what a nice surprise to know it's yours," he continues chattering. 

"Well, if it something that will not inconvenience you--"

"Of course not! What do you think, [Name]?"

You stare at the two as you find the exchange peculiar. You don't trust Iroh's maturity in response to the situation, but maybe years have changed Iroh into a secure man. "Sure?"

"Great! Great!" Iroh walks over to kiss your cheek and hands you his gifts. "I need to freshen up, but I'll be there in a bit."

"Okay?" You respond as you watch him saunter away from the group with a skip to his step.

[__]

And so the night passes without a hitch. Laughter, great conversations, and amusement were present in the dinner, and you settle for the night in your bed, relieved that there were no altercations. You still remain confused by all the cordiality but welcome it.

"Iroh?"

"Yes, wifey?"

The candlelight has yet to be extinguished as you set down the book you are currently reading. You face his satisfied spirit, "What was that?"

He knows what you speak of and a mischievous smile is your answer. "Hmm?"

"Seriously!"

He laughs as you laugh along with him, and when he finally regains enough composure, he gives you his explanation. "He lost and I won! Why be jealous when I have the most perfect wife by my side? Also how can I monk who swore off physical love steal you from me? You're mine forever."

"You are really immature sometimes," you giggle.

"If it means I can sleep by the most beautiful woman in the world, I have zero regrets."

You roll your eyes, "And you're so cheesy."

"Don't lie, you love it." Iroh reaches out and grabs you, bringing you onto his lap to begin cuddling.