LXIX

I rush into the living room. Barnabas called me and told me that he had something to tell me. Would he… would he propose to me? Would he ask me to marry him?

I had an amazing dream tonight. Barnabas asked me to marry him. With a ring and a red rose. How romantic. 

And he turned me into a vampire, so that we could roam Collinsport together. Then we made love like two caged animals and then I woke up.

He's right, we can be together now because no one knows that we're in fact brother and sister. 

I remember my umpteenth time in the church while praying for Barnabas.

'Dear Lord, please take good care of my mother and father. They’re at peace now. But please, bring my beloved Barney back… I'm begging you, Lord. Please bring him back.'

I had a photo of Barnabas with me. I looked at his handsome face and his sweet eyes.

I began to sob again. 'Barnabas… I miss you so much… please come back…' 

As I reach Barnabas, he wraps his arms around me and kisses me softly. 'Good morning, sleepyhead.'

'Good morning, Barney,' I whisper.

I want to step back, but he doesn’t let me go. Not that it matters, I wish I could kiss him all day.

His hand moves through my messy hair and over my face. I melt in his embrace. 

'I love you,' Barnabas whispers in my ear.

'I love you too,' I whisper back.

Barnabas and I were out again and we went to the beach. We walked along the seaside, hand in hand. 

Barnabas suddenly let go of my hand. 

'Look, Venus,' he whispered. 'The sun is going down!'

We watched as the sun went down. The sky colored yellow, then pink and then orange.

'Wow,' I whispered.

Barnabas put his arms around me and gave me a kiss. I felt the butterflies in my stomach flutter uncontrollably.

'I wanna go swimming,' Barnabas whispered in my ear. And he undressed and ran into the sea naked. I followed him. No one saw us anyway.

We chased after each other in the water, we tried to count to ten without breathing under water, and we finally made love in the water.

Father and I have never been really close. Well, that last year… he often threatened to whip me if I didn’t want to listen. He never did it, but… 

Barnabas and I were staying with our other grandparents. It was horrible. They said that Barnabas was only good because of his looks, he'd never be that succesful, and once he got mad about that, that resulted in him being whipped. And not that soft.

'Take off your blouse,' my grandfather growled.

Barnabas obeyed and unbuttoned his blouse. 

'Off!' Grandfather yelled. 

Barnabas took off his blouse and threw it aside. I looked at his strong, muscular, masculine chest in awe. Not a single gram of fat. And his flat stomach with strong abs. 

I felt butterflies in my stomach. I put my hand on my stomach and rubbed it. It wasn’t a good time to go drool on my own brother.

I saw the fear in his eyes. Probably the only time I saw him that scared. His eyes begged: help me. It was horrible to watch.

'Lay down,' Grandfather ordered him.

Barnabas looked at me. 

'Venus… help.' He nearly cried.