XLI

I randomly think of a random memory. 

That servant who had become my best friend wanted to talk about Barnabas. It slowly got better with me. But even now, tears filled my eyes and I bit on my trembling lip.

‘Oh, honey… You really miss him a lot, don’t you?’

‘He was not just my brother! He was my best friend, my support and rock, my everything!’ I began to cry.

‘Ssh, honey, ssh… I’mma get you some hot chocolate.’

The chocolate made me feel happy. For a few seconds. 

‘I knew you two were close. But… He was more than your brother, right?’

I choked on my hot chocolate. I coughed.

‘Venus… Yeah, right?’

I nodded my head. ‘If you want to hang me, do it…’

‘No.’

‘How do you know?’

‘I saw you guys kissing.’

‘When?’

‘One evening. I was shocked at first. But I thought you two fitted each other perfectly. That evening when you asked him to be your friend forever.’

‘Oh yeah, that.’

‘And then I saw you two hugging, and I thought it was pretty touching, a brother and sister with such a close bond… and then Barnabas put his lips on yours, and that startled me. But I’ve always thought about it. The way you looked at him… You looked at him madly in love.’

‘Yes, he was my true love…’ I admitted. ‘I was in love with Barnabas.’

‘Did you guys… do more?’

‘Yes, I crawled in between the sheets with him. A lot of times. But then Barnabas met Josette and…’

‘I think he loved you too. He loved you in the exact same way. I often overheard conversations between him and his friends, and all he could talk about was you, you, and you.’

‘Really…?’

‘Yes… It was something different than always, I mean… He only talked about boobs and who had the tightest hole.’

‘Yeah… His playboy side… I thought I was the only one who knew that.’

‘I think he kissed all those servants at least once… Except for me. But, I’ve never been in love with him. He was yours.’

‘No! He wasn’t!’

Caesar jumped onto my lap and started to meow.

I began to pat him. He buried his head in my neck and purred satisfiedly.

‘I think that he didn’t love Josette. Not in the way he loved you, at least.’

‘Huh?’ Barnabas who didn’t love Josette?

‘You see, everyone in Collinsport knew you two. You guys’ relationship couldn’t have a future. They would hang him. It was a serious crime.’

‘No!’ I gasped.

‘He didn’t want to leave you behind on your own. He told me that. You already lost your parents, you couldn’t lose him as well.’

‘And now… Now…’ I began to cry again. ‘Now… Now I’m all alone anyway…’

Caesar meowed and licked my face. My tears dripped onto his soft fur.

‘Oh, Caesar…’ I sobbed.