LXIII

One night after a ball, mother, father, Barnabas and I went out together. Mother and father held each other’s hand and Barnabas was holding my hand. 

We sat down at a table. I was tired. 

Mother, father and Barnabas ordered vodka. I felt left out, but I didn’t want to drink alcohol. So I just ordered fruit juice.

'This is great,' father said. 

'Yeah,' mother responded. 

'We're here with our two beloved children… I can barely believe how you two have grown. Barnabas, our dear boy, you’re all grown up… two years left and then you’ll be thirty!'

'Make it last longer,' Barnabas said. 

'And Venus… my lord, look at you… You’re already eighteen years old! Time goes by so fast… look at what a beautiful young woman you’ve become.' Father told me.

'No, daddy. I'm not beautiful,' I whispered. I shoved up the sleeve of my gown.

Father placed his hand on top of mine. That shocked me. I couldn’t control my emotions and I began to cry. 

'Oh dear.' Father said. He gently stroked my hand.

I suddenly felt the urge to hug him. I got up, got over to him and wrapped my arms around him. He laughed and hugged me back. Barnabas got up too and joined the hug. Mother followed. I cried even harder. 

'Ssh, honey. Ssh,' mother whispered to me. 'It's okay. We love you.'

'Yeah, we love you, Venus,' Father added. 'We love you just as much as we love Barnabas. You two are our most important assets.'

'And I love you very much,' Barnabas whispered.

'I love you guys too,' I whispered. 'I love you, mommy. I love you, daddy. I love you, Barnabas.'

'We love you too,' they said in unison. We laughed at it. 

'When are you finally getting married, Barnabas?' Father asked.

'Not before I’m thirty,' Barnabas responded.

'Your wife and you need to take over our business when we pass away,' Father continued.

'He's gonna do amazing,' I said. 

'You're sweet,' Barnabas said.

After a few minutes, mother and father were tired and they went home. Me and Barnabas stayed. 

Barnabas lit up a cigarette. I watched as he smoked. He seemed to enjoy it.

He blew the smoke in my face. 

I coughed. 'You nasty ass motherfucker! Ew!'

He laughed at me. He then pressed his cigarette out on the table. He then leaned in and put his arm around me. 

'Wanna go swimming?' He whispered in my ear.

'Yeah,' I responded.