XLVII

This was a very emotional chapter for me to write. Because I felt Venus so good. I literally cried while writing.

The chapter starts here.

I’ve been bullied a lot in my life. They called me an infant and retarded. And once, it got out of hand. I got mad at Barnabas and I called him names.

We were at a ball and I was watching Barnabas talking and laughing with his friends. They were talking about the girls. 

I built up the courage to ask a man to dance with me. But I didn't expect what happened when I did that.

The man laughed in my face. 'Who would want YOU to dance with? Just that you’re Barnabas' sister doesn't mean you're just as good as him! Look at him.'

I looked at Barnabas. He was surrounded by the girls. He was showing off his muscles. 

'Deal with it, Venus. You're just a latecomer. Nobody wants you.'

Something snapped in me. I couldn’t control myself and I got over to Barnabas. Some part of me tried to reassure me, but the demons got the better of me. I punched his shoulder with all my strength.

'Ouch! Who did that?' Barnabas asked.

He turned around and looked at me.

'Venus? What the fuck!' He yelled furiously. 

'You nasty ass motherfucker!' I yelled. 'You fucking asshole!' I tried to punch him again. 

Barnabas was faster and grabbed my arm. It went pretty rough and it hurt. 

'What gave you the right to fucking punch me?' He asked. He was furious and I saw something flashing in his eyes. I got scared.

'You're always getting the attention! You’re always better in everything! Everything!' I yelled.

He grabbed my shoulders and stared at me with rage in his eyes.

'Ouch, you’re squeezing,' I whispered.

'I hope you're knowing what you're doing, my dear,' he told me. It didn't sound sweet this time. 

'Sorry,' I whispered. 

'It's okay, my dear. I know you’re not doing it on purpose.'

'C'mon Barnabas, why so sweet? Hit her!'

Barnabas turned around. 'Who said that?'

I saw the man who just made fun of me. 

'I was hoping for a punch,' he said. 

'Yeah, right on her nose! C'mon Barnabas, hit her!' Someone else yelled.

'Barney, no! Don't do that, please…' I whispered.

'Do you guys also hear someone squeak?' The man laughed. 

'Sad little bunny,' someone else yelled.

'Ahhw, does the sad little bird need some tissues?'

'She's pathetic. She’s looking for attention. No, she's screaming for attention!'

'Yeah. She cuts herself, don’t you, Venus?'

'I…' I looked at the ground. 

One of the guests roughly grabbed my arm and shoved up the sleeve of my gown, exposing my scars and cuts.

I looked at Barnabas. 'Help me,' I mouthed. 

'Hey, stop that! That's not funny!' Barnabas yelled. 

'She's not who you think she is, Barnabas! Open your fucking eyes!'