XXXII

I missed Caesar a lot after his passing. Especially the first weeks. Everytime I’d see him in the painting, I’d cry. I frequently visited the place in our backyard where I had buried him. Then I’d talk to him. I fought the urge to bury him up and cuddle him.

Yeah, we had a lot of fun with Caesar. Especially his reaction to some things. He was pretty fearful. He didn’t like loud noises. 

I was reading a book and Caesar was sitting in my lap. Barnabas was doing the same thing. It was dead silent. I was nearly falling asleep and so was Caesar. But then, something disturbed us. Barnabas farted very loudly and Caesar jumped out of my lap and rushed to the other side of the room.

‘Oh my god, you pig!’ I tried to sound disgusted, but I couldn’t hold in my laugh.

Caesar had hidden himself underneath the couch and he let out soft little meows.

‘You scared him!’

‘I’m sorry, I couldn’t hold it!’ he defended himself.

‘That was a fucking earthquake! My god!’ I laughed. 

Just when Caesar was about to carefully sneak back to me, Barnabas farted again and he rushed away again. 

‘You fucking pig! Stop it!’ I laughed. ‘Or go to the bathroom, but don’t poison me with your toxic gas!’

‘You’re exaggerating, Venus. It’s not poisonous at all.’ and then he farted even louder. 

‘Barnabas!’ I yelled. ‘Stop it!’

He came to me. 

‘No, don’t you dare!’ I warned him. But he did it again. 

‘Ew! Get away from me!’ I yelled.

Barnabas took me into a hold and started to tickle me. 

‘Oh no! No! Stop it, I’m ticklish!’ I laughed.

Mother and father found us like this. ‘That’s a lot of fun. What’s so funny?’

‘Barnabas wouldn’t stop farting.’ right after I said that, he farted again, and this time the loudest I’d ever heard him do before. I got the giggles and the tears flowed down my cheeks. 

‘Barnabas! Where are your manners?’ father asked him. 

Barnabas turned bright red. 

‘Well, rather here and just with us than in a room of thousands of people during a meeting,’ father said. 

I watched Barnabas leading a meeting once. I was sixteen and I just stood there. He was amazing. And when he got the contract, I ran to him and threw myself in his arms. Everyone stared at us. 

'Who is that girl?’

‘That’s his younger sister.’

‘Ooooh. I’ve never seen a brother and sister hug like that.’

‘I know Barnabas very well. They’re very close together. His sister seems to be lonely.’

‘Lonely? Such a pretty girl like her?’

‘Apparently.’

I stayed with Barnabas the whole day. He went for a smoke with some of his friends. He only smoked when we were out and I wonder if he did it because of me. 

‘You see, Venus, one day I’ll be on that kind of poster,’ he whispered while pointing to a really big commercial poster. 

‘My god, I can’t believe it… my big brother is gonna be a huge businessman!’ I responded. ‘But… What about all the business trips? What about…’

Barnabas put his arm around me. ‘Don’t worry. I’ll try to spend time with you whenever I can.’

‘Thanks,’ I whispered.

‘For what, my dear?’ he asked.

‘For being my friend,’ I whispered. ‘I don’t know what I should do without you. So please be careful with those business trips.’

‘I will,’ Barnabas told me and he gave me a kiss. My cheek began to tingle and I blushed. Would he have seen it?

I hugged him and put my nose in his neck. I smelled his perfume and I buried my nose in it.

‘You smell so lovely,’ I whispered. 

‘What?’

‘I said that you smell good.’ 

We came back late at night. Barnabas was drunk, but not as drunk as he could be sometimes. He was sober enough to walk properly and to talk properly.

I also remember a time when he came into my room, waking me up. 

I heard him curse out loud. 

‘What?’ I groaned.

He saw me. ‘Oh s-shit,’ he said. He stuttered and he sounded like his tongue was laying double in his mouth.

‘S-s-sorry, Venus,’ he said. ‘I d-d-didn’t m-mean t-to wake y-you u-up.’

‘It’s okay, Barney.’

‘Well, I-I’m going to bed. G-goodnight,’ he stammered.

‘Goodnight, Barney,’ I whispered. I blew him a kiss. 

‘G-goodnight, my dear.’ he blew me a kiss too.