XIX

On my seventeenth birthday, Barnabas gave me a book. It was a poetry collection about family love. I loved it.

‘When I pass away, I want you to think of this book,’ he told me. ‘I want you to know that I’ll always be with you, even when I’m not there anymore.’

‘Barney… Don’t say that,’ I whispered. 

‘Ssh, don’t cry, my dear. I won’t pass away before I’m eighty!’

‘I’m seventy when you’re eighty,’ I said. ‘Do we still keep those water fights then?’

‘Maybe. But now we’re not old and wrinkled yet, let’s go have some fun!’ He pulled me downstairs and took me outside. He showed me the port and all the ships. I loved it. 

He also showed me our fishing business and, because it was my birthday, I was allowed to look inside. 

But the most unforgettable present ever was Caesar. 

I turned fourteen and Barnabas came in with a box. ‘Here’s your present! I talked about it with our mother and father, and they were okay with it.’

I opened the box. 

‘Oh my god! Oh my-’ I screeched. 

In the box was a very cute white kitten.

‘Oh my god, a cat! A CAT!’ I screeched. I carefully took the kitten out of the box and cuddled it. ‘Hi, cutie.’

The kitten began to purr softly. 

'He doesn't have a name yet,’ Barnabas told me. ‘He is for you, but we will also keep an eye on him.’

'I'm gonna name you Caesar,' I told the kitten.

'Caesar? That's a nice name,' Barnabas said.

‘Hi, Caesar,’ I whispered to the kitten. Caesar responded with a very cute soft meow. 

I cuddled him all day. I even carried him with me through the whole house. He sat in my lap while I was eating, with disgust from my parents. But they didn’t say anything, since it was my birthday.

‘What are you thinking of?’ Barnabas asks.

I immediately snap back into reality. ‘Us. In the past.’

‘Oh.’

I still remember the first time I wrote in my diary.

Hi,

My name is Venus Collins and I’m twelve years old. I live here in Collinsport with my family, consisting of my mother, father and my older brother Barnabas, also known as “Barney” to me. I randomly named him that once, and he liked it. 

I don’t have a really good bond with my parents. In contrast to my bond with Barnabas, which is so strong. We’re so close, I mean, some people mistake us for being a couple. We always cuddle and hold each other’s hand. He loves me. He never said that before, but I just know he does. 

Today is my twelfth birthday and Barnabas gave me this diary. He told me that I could tell you all my secrets. And, I guess I will. 

Today, I saw Barnabas sneaking away with one of our servants. I don’t want to know what they did. They probably did that “sex” thing I hear everyone talk about.

Today is my birthday, yet again. I turned eighteen today. And fuck, Barnabas is hot. He’s so hot. He’s a hunk. And that’s MY brother! And he sees ME!