Gospel to the Ears, Horrid to the Eyes [S1]

Be wary of the purple smoke.

Blaine's eyes shot open as he sat up with a jolt. He was breathing heavily, and quickly looked around in his surroundings. Familiar clouds and starry skies surrounded him, the feeling of the soft pillow-like textures beneath him. He slowly got up, looking around in surprise.

A flying whale glided past him, deep rumbles that echoed in the air that Blaine could only hope was a "Welcome Back."

It was Yena's domain.

"Be wary of Maelstrom." A voice gently whispered.

Blaine snapped his head behind him and there she was. The Goddess of Chaos herself in all her glory, Yena. Yena stared at Blaine, who did the same back, and neither said anything for a while. Blaine couldn't remember the last time he'd seen Yena, it feel like it's been a long time.

Yeah, now that he thought about it, the last time he saw her was when he also met...

When he also met Baladan, the god of death.

Tensions were high back then, there was no denying it.

"I've heard that before." Blaine said, sitting back down after acknowledging Yena's presence.

"That's correct. I whispered it to you once. It was a warning then, and it's still a warning now."

Yena was sitting beside Blaine now, watching as a group of whales flew past them slowly in silence. Blaine felt a little bit tense next to her, if he was being honest. Yes, Yena granted him this opportunity to live another life, but she also got him choked out by the epitome of Death. It was scary, and it makes him wary of what could possibly happen to him from being around her.

But, she was the first person to reach out to him, in his past life. It was a horrible feeling being torn about his safety but his debt. He wouldn't have to worry about being safe, if he was still floating as a lost soul without Yena's help, reckoned. Still. It was hard to rationalize his feelings about everything.

"I'm going to tell you a story, Blaine." Yena said as she slowly swirled the clouds in space. Blaine instantly shut down the rambling thoughts in his head as he grunted, signalling that he was indeed listening. Yena huffed out a laugh through her nose, but continued on.

"There once was a being who glowed like the moon. And one who shone like the sun. Both were happy and content with their roles, their lives. Night was when one of the erose, basking in the quietness. She glowed and watched over those who were like her, looking for peace and quiet within the comforts of the darkness.

The other blossomed in the Day, full of activity and chatter. He shone brightly for those who enjoyed warmth and laughter."

Yena chuckled as if she was reliving the memory in her mind, while Blaine stayed silent.

"But one day, the one like the Sun noticed that others were fighting. They didn't like it, and neither did the one like the Moon. Innocents were getting hurt, and it was losing the peace. They both agreed that if they were to effect too many people however, it could cause even more imbalance. So they each picked a person to...secretly help."

Yena looked at Blaine, who was already looking at her. "Can you guess their names?"

"Raignald was one of them. Alastair is a descendant of them, judging by the similarity of Raignar, his last name, and the name of the hero." Blaine spoke.

"That's right. But what was the name of the other?" Yena prompted.

Blaine thought for a moment but ended up drawing a blank. He truly didn't know, it wasn't in the history books or the lore of the original novel from his past life. "I...don't know."