Gratitude [S1]

"What the fu--Haylynn!" Blaine growled as he got smack in the face with a pillow. He was moving around some items in his room, when was assaulted by a five-year-old gremlin. He grabbed the pillow that laid on the floor, and narrowed his eyes at his little sister, who smirked at him back mischievously, and ran out the door.

Blaine took off immediately, running in between maids and servants who yelped at the sudden movements. Haylynn is shrieking as Blaine chased her around the manor, and some maids were very much concerned at first.

A knight even stepped forwards to intervene, suspicious of Blaine's actions but Keegan, Blaine's personal guard stepped in. He stared at the scene of Blaine playing with Haylynn in wonder, whispering to the knight.

"We all know of his past, sir. But do be sure to take a look at the present as well."

Armed with only a pillow, Blaine was grinning as he tried to grab Haylynn, only to curse violently when he smacks his head against a chair. Haylynn laughs at his misfortune, which only riles him up to "double" his efforts, moving faster to speed after his cackling sister.

It was obvious that while he was being dramatic, he wasn't planning on harming his sister.

The knight stared in shock at the scene, but reluctantly relaxed as he soaked it in. Ever since he woke up from his injury, it was as if the oldest son of the Ashdown family was a changed man. He heard the rumors of his decrease in violence, his rising attentiveness to his younger siblings, but to witness it in person it was almost baffling.

But to see the young miss happy that her older brother was giving her attention failed to not put a small smile on his face, and to begin to see Blaine Ashdown in a new light slowly.

Blaine jumped over one of the tables and made a move to snatch Haylynn, when a fast-moving body conveniently blocked his chance. He growled in annoyance and glared at his twin brother, who was smirking at him with his arms crossed, protecting Haylynn.

"Maxxie!" Haylynn cheered and she stuck her tongue out at Blaine from behind her shield, Maxwell.

Maxwell chuckled, "It seems I have been summoned to defend against a wretched beast."

"You bastard, you used your magic! You know I got these fuckin' cuffs on me, I'm practically disabled against your magic!"

Maxwell shrugged and held his arms out. "Must suck to suck, as you would say."

Blaine couldn't help the laugh that came out of him, "Touche."

But then, something unexpected happened. A high-pitched war cry from above came falling down, crashing on top of Maxwell's back, who yelped in pure shock. It was the youngest boy in the Ashdown family, white hair messy and wild, purple eyes' wide with adrenaline when he jumped off the few stairs onto Maxwell.

Keegan almost fainted at the sight of August's stunt, he couldn't believe how reckless it was. August was a mellow child, it was normally the youngest they had to watch out for when it comes to spontaneous actions, but to see August do something so unlike himself was baffling.

Was this the effect of Blaine Ashdown? Keegan wondered, as he watched all of the siblings interact with smiles.

August wrapped his arms around Maxwell to secure his place, and he shouted at Blaine, "Get her, Blaine!"

That snapped him out of his shock as he gripped the pillow once more, charging at a pale Haylynn who was screaming even louder at the turn of events. She rushed up the stairs as Blaine hopped two stairs at a time to grab her, and he was so so close, when everyone heard a strong voice said,