"You were betting on our relationship?"

Ian coughed and walked to the entrance of the cave without answering. Every other soldier shifted and avoided eye contact.

Oliver rubbed his temples and gave Draco a helpless look. He chose to change the subject. "Whatever we heard most likely won't come this way. This cave has not been used for many years, so it probably cannot travel here. Everyone should rest for the night."

"What do you think it was?" A soldier asked. 

"It didn't sound like a Wraith, bear, or wolf," Oliver said quietly. He turned towards Draco. "Do you think it may have been a drake?"

Draco gripped his spear. "Possibly. Or a serpent of some sort."

Oliver looked out of the cave and saw it was still dark. Everyone set up around the campfire except for Oliver, who remained closer to where the cave bent.

Draco sat down next to him and stifled a yawn. Oliver took his hand and pulled Draco over so he could lean on Oliver's shoulder. 

"Sleep a little." He urged.

"Promise me that you will let me take the next watch." He said in a heavy voice.

Oliver gave a quiet mhmm, letting Draco close his eyes. 

He figured Draco had used too much energy between his magic against the Wraiths and his close transformation. He flushed and had to contribute some of his exhaustion to their activities in the pool.

This was a new venture for him. One that scared him as much as it excited him. Still, if the pain he suffered were payment to be with Draco in this life, he wouldn't hesitate to pay the fee tenfold. 

He smiled as he gazed at the sleeping man next to him. 

When the sun rose the following day, they found that the fog had lifted.  The Wraiths would not attack when they could not hide. Oliver announced that he wished to explore the cave some more. They argued but reluctantly agreed when Draco assured them that he would 

To be safe, they cleared the traces of their camp and parted ways.  Oliver and Draco stood in the darkness alone; the ambiguity from before had disappeared as they set their minds to focus on the task at hand. There was a creature within these caves, and it could be a disaster if they let it be.

Ian had given him a luminous stone, which now created a dim glow that danced off the cave's walls. However, matter how far they explored, they found no trace of a monster or beast. Was this truly an undiscovered route?

They lost track of when it was day or night; however, it did not deter them.  When they were tired, they rested. Oliver would take first watch, while Draco would relieve him later. They never slept at the same time. 

As the days bled on, Oliver and Draco found that the air in the cave started to change. They both recognized magic dancing with oxygen, but it was somewhat ominous. 

Their steps had become lighter, and they blended with the darkness until it was nearly impossible to detect them.  However, Oliver's feet faltered when he saw a pale light seeping through a crack in the walls. They cautiously looked through the opening.  

Oliver held back a gasp as he found they were overlooking a large cavern lit up with numerous luminous stones.  Their tunnel was at a higher level than the cavern floor, allowing them to observe the layout from above.

Many makeshift homes were built on one side of the cavern, and a large altar was erected on the other side with a large curtain covering the entire all. On it was a painted sigil of a bear wearing a crown.