forty-one

Despite how Eve was acting, Jane was still happy. She was getting married to Ben which meant there were a lot of activities to do. One of them being...picking out the dress.

She met up with Maeve and Annie at the dress shop. She squealed when she saw Maeve and ran to her, hugging her tightly.

Maeve chuckled slightly at her excitement every time Jane saw her after awhile, "That's never going to end, is it?"

"No," Jane smiled as she pulled away. "I'm so glad you decided to come."

Maeve had moved from city to city. She'd been traveling and never really found a place that felt like home.

"Yeah, I think she was going to have a meltdown if you didn't," Annie answered.

Jane gave her a playful glare, "I was not."

"Like I'd miss your wedding...seeing as you named me your maid of honor," Maeve said with a slight smile.

Jane didn't name Annie her maid of honor, although, she did make her a bridesmaid. Even though she spent the last year being closer to Annie, she'd always be best friends with Maeve; they just had a certain connection that was always right there waiting no matter how much time passed before their next meeting.

"So let's see it," Maeve smirked. "Where's the ring?"

Jane smiled and lifted her hand, showing off her ring. It was a simple, delicate design; she didn't need anything big. Annie marveled at it, "It's so pretty."

"So did he actually get down on one knee?" Maeve smirked at the image in her head.

"Well...not the first time," Jane said.

"He had to ask you twice?" Maeve laughed. "Poor guy."

"No. It wasn't like that. I never turned him down at all," Jane explained. "He asked me...unconventionally and then when we picked out the rings, he did it properly. It was cute."

"You didn't make him beg?" Maeve shook her head. "Not even a little..."

"No, Maeve," she rolled her eyes with a smile.

"I still can't believe it took him this long to ask you," Annie said before sighing dreamily. "I wish Hughie would ask me."

Maeve snorted, "I don't think he has the balls to."

Annie shoved Maeve playfully before looking at Jane, "Okay...dresses."

_____

Ben was with Billy at a bar while Jane went with the girls. He congratulated Ben.

"Don't fucking say it..." Ben shook his head but Billy teased him anyway.

"You're going to be an official lovesick fool," Billy smirked. "Welcome to the club, mate."

Billy was reminded of Becca. He had gotten married and he'd do it all fucking over again with his Becca.

They both took a shot.

"But fucking finally," Billy said. "I lost a fucking bet to Frenchie 'cause of you."

And their day continued with drinking and as the hours passed, they wondered why it took so long to pick out a dress.

_____