eight

EPISODE EIGHT

         Now, super terrorists were a thing. With that knowledge, no one opposed the military bill. There was a celebration for it passing at Vought Tower.

            Her presence was required and she wore a seductive red dress. Before the party really started, she found Starlight.

            "Annie," she called and the girl turned, finishing her sip of champagne. Annie furrowed her eyebrows questioningly.

               Jane gave the girl a soft smile, "I'm sorry I wasn't there after you revealed what happened with Deep."

               "Jane, you had so much going on," Annie avoided mentioning Stone so she didn't make Jane sad. "You don't owe me an apology."

               "Still...I am," Jane said before gesturing towards a man in uniform that was looking at Annie. "I think someone wants your attention."

                Annie glanced in the direction she gestured to before taking a sip of her champagne with a flirty smile, "He's cute."

               "And has eyes all for you," Jane encouraged before starting to walk away. "Have fun."

               _____

             Jane did her own share of drinking as everyone started clapping once Homelander entered the party, walking down the stairs. She analyzed him by her spot at the bar.

Maeve told her he went overseas already as soon as the bill passed.

"They're sending him over there already?" she said as Maeve handed her the drink she made.

"You know Vought always wants to show a strong hand," Maeve said before she furrowed her eyebrows. "Why do you sound surprised? John tells you everything."

Jane was silent. She hadn't talked to John in a week since that night. She didn't answer the question Maeve gave her.

"I mean, does he know what kind of powers he's up against? He's not going in blind, is he?" Jane chewed on her lip.

             Maeve analyzed her before she realized, "You're worried about him?"

             "No, I'm not," she stubbornly denied.

               Maeve shook her head, "Oh, Jane." She wished she could tell Jane what kind of person that Homelander really was but she'd be killed in the worst way if she was the reason that Jane alienated him.

                Jane looked away from John as he entered the party; as her heart galloped in her chest as she remembered his confession. Jane, I'm fucking in love with you. She looked across the bar at a man eyeing her up and down and she immediately smiled sweetly.

               She needed a distraction.

              _____

            Jane had learned the man's name but she completely forgot what it was as his hands traveled over her in a darkened corner. His lips were pressed to her neck.