twenty-six

Jane was on a private plane with Ben. She didn't go back to Butcher because she knew everyone would try to put Ben back in a box and she wouldn't allow it. She wouldn't allow anyone to live like she did again.

So she got them a private plane out of the country. Fortunately, her card holder was still in the pocket of her dress so she was able to pay for everything.

               Usually, she had used overseas accounts that would be untraceable. But now she didn't care if it created a paper trail anymore. She wouldn't hide and Homelander could find her if he wanted to.

             She sat next to Ben in the reclining seat by the aisle. He had just sat down next to her after taking a shower and changing into new clothes.

He itched at his chin as he sat down, "Fuck, I need to shave."

She smiled as she looked out the window, staring at the clouds, "I can cut it for you when we land back home."

He slightly smirked, "Alright." The most beautiful woman he'd ever seen up close and personal with him; like he'd turn that down.

He stared at her then. He stared at her brilliant bright green eyes that shined from the sunlight filtering in.

"You know you have the fucking prettiest eyes."

"Stop," she blushed slightly as her eyes flickered up to him with a warning look.

               He shook his head before he took notice of a bruise on her upper arm, "Did the Russians do that to you?"

               She looked at it and she shook her head nervously, "Oh, no. I just...got it."

                "What asshole gave it to you?" he asked.

                 "Someone," she answered quietly and looked down.

             She got the bruise from when Homelander grabbed her arm that night. It was dark and purple.

He decided to let the topic go before he rested his head back against the headrest. It was quiet for a moment and he was aware of her eyes that returned to his face.

She analyzed him as she bit her lip, "So Payback betrayed you? What did you do to them?"

"What do you mean?" he furrowed his eyebrows.

"I mean, a team doesn't usually betray their leader without a reason. What about Gunpowder? He was just a kid, right?"

"I trained that kid. He should've been fucking grateful."

She considered his rough and abrasive exterior. It wasn't much to put together that he was probably too hard on everyone in his team.

"Black Noir?"

"He was fucking jealous that I had all the spotlight," he reasoned.

"You didn't share?"

"Why would I fucking do that?" he asked.

She smiled and teased, "Sharing is caring, Ben."

"Where the fuck do you get these phrases?" he shook his head slightly. "Please tell me no one says that."

She nodded enthusiastically, "It's a new age, Ben. You can change."

Even if Ben was rough and abrasive, and maybe even deserved the payback he got, she believed in redemption (except for one man). The soldier beside her had gone through forty years of torture; he had more than paid for his sins.