twenty-eight

They stayed in another hotel.

Jane went out to get takeout for the two of them but when she returned, she found alcohol bottles on the table.

           She looked on in surprise as she set the food down, "You went through five bottles?"

            "It doesn't fucking do anything," he said as he took a swig from the sixth bottle. "Nothing ever does."

              "Except you," he smiled slightly and she got the idea that he was at least buzzed because of the vulnerable look in his eyes.

               She felt slight butterflies and she turned her head from him as she swallowed, "Okay. I got food. Let's focus on that."

                "You know they fucking sent us over there to win freedom for another fucking country," he started to rant about the things stuck in his head, haunting him. "Then when we got back, they told us to take our own."

               She knew he was talking about segregation. The soldiers that fought in WWII were the ones that came back and held up the law of segregation and inequality. But she could see he regretted it and that was enough for her.

                "But I did it," his eyes teared up. "Because I was a good soldier. The only fucking thing I'm good at."

                   She carefully stepped over to him and she ran her fingers through his hair to soothe him. She kissed the top of his head before she placed a hand on his cheek.

                 "It's okay, Ben," she smiled reassuringly. "Maybe you did bad things...but it doesn't make you a bad person."

           He stared up at her like he was looking at salvation and a lone tear left his eye as he shook his head, "You're a fucking angel."

            How could someone be that good? How could she even be that good to him? He didn't deserve it.

_____

They were on the road again. They didn't talk about how vulnerable he was last night. And she didn't need to.

             Now they stopped for gas. Ben went inside the gas station while Jane filled the car up with gas. It was a gas station in the middle of nowhere and he was the only one in the store besides the guy at the counter.

The guy at the counter was young. A kid to him. Once he came up to the counter, he saw the kid had been looking at a Playboy magazine.

"Christ, those things are still around?" he smirked.

"Yeah," the kid furrowed his eyebrows at the statement as he rang stuff up. "But this one is a special edition: it has Poison Ivy."

Ben blinked, not expecting to hear that before he demanded, "Let me see that fucking thing."

The kid smirked and handed it over. Ben flipped through the pages until he found the nude pictures of Jane. The only garment she had on was a red bunny ear headband. She was a Playboy Bunny.

             He couldn't even believe it. She looked the exact same now as she did in this picture. And the issue was years ago.

"Fuck," Ben stared in amazement before he slightly licked his lips before looking out the window. She really had that hiding under her clothes. He needed to up his game.

"Right?" the kid said and sighed dreamily. "She's the most bangable woman on the planet. Homelander was lucky."

Ben tensed and he felt angry. God, he couldn't wait to put that guy in the ground.

"How much do you want for this?" Ben asked.

The kid shrugged, "Keep it. I got plenty at home."

"Cool, kid," Ben nodded and he walked out after paying.

Ben wore the biggest smirk as he approached her and she furrowed her eyebrows. He had some magazine in his hand and he spoke, "You didn't tell me you were like fucking Marilyn."

Then he lifted up the magazine, showing her the nude pictures of herself. Her jaw dropped in shock, "Where did you get that?"

"You're not supposed to see that," her cheeks went bright red and she reached for it. "Give me that!"

He held it up above her head and reached it for it, "Ben!"

               Her chest was pressed against his as she reached on her tippy toes. They were both glowing but there was no one around to see. He smirked, "Tell you what, I'll throw it away if you kiss me?"

                   She looked into his eyes dark green eyes. She had a glare on her face before she smiled sweetly and she leaned in closely, bringing her lips ever so close to his. His smirk faded as he eagerly awaited kissing her and he swallowed.

               Then she whispered and her breath caused goosebumps to form on his skin, "No."

               She pulled back from him with a glare as her eyes lit up with red and then the magazine turned to ash in his hand. He frowned.

              "I didn't choose to do that, Ben," her eyes teared up. "I am not Marilyn Monroe. I don't want posters of myself on walls. I didn't choose it."

               He faltered for a moment as he furrowed his eyebrows. He didn't understand what she meant. How could she not choose it?

             Then he approached her carefully and placed gentle hands on her cheeks. She had seen him at his most vulnerable. He was going to try to comfort her as she did him.

            "Hey, I'm sorry. Alright? I didn't mean to upset you," he said genuinely.

               He thought that she'd just blush like always. Then she'd get the better of him and remind him that he didn't effect her as much as she affected him. He didn't know what was wrong.

                 "I know," she said quietly.

             And she didn't blame him. He didn't know that Vought had completely and utterly fucked her up. (She guessed they had that in common in a way). He had no idea of her past.

              _____

            After awhile of driving, Jane had gone back to normal. Ben kept staring at her. Well, he kept staring at places below her face.

              "Ben, save the staring for tonight, okay?"

                Her words startled him, "Wait, tonight..."

                Then he saw her smirking face, "Goddamn it. That's not fair."

                She chuckled and he decided to test the waters.

              "You know, I took every Playboy Bunny to bed since their inception up 'till 84," he said proudly.

            "Am I supposed to be impressed with that? 'Cause I am so not continuing your streak."

               "I'll convince you, angel. Eventually," he promised. "And you're fucking beautiful. You'd never be just a streak."

                She shook her head but she couldn't help the smile nor the butterflies that erupted. Butterflies, she realized. She knew what that meant and how much trouble she was in because of it. Fuck, she thought. Damn his green eyes and his stupidly handsome face for making her feel something. And she realized that after the past year, he was the only one who had.