twenty-two

SEASON THREE
EPISODE TWO

           Butcher had a lead on a weapon that might be able to kill Homelander

Butcher had a lead on a weapon that might be able to kill Homelander. Apparently, it was the same one that killed Soldier Boy.

It was why she was going to talk to Crimson Countess with Frenchie and Kimiko. Butcher was going to talk to Gunpowder.

They entered Voughtland where there were rollercoasters and kids eating hamburgers with donuts as a bun. Kimiko was amazed and she really wanted to ride the big Homelander rollercoaster that had a three hour long wait.

                 "First, work then pleasure," Frenchie denied her softly and Kimiko pouted sadly which Jane thought was a crime against humanity.

               "Why don't you two go?" Jane offered. "I can handle the Countess by myself."

                Plus, Jane thought that Frenchie and Kimiko were couple material. They were always glued to the hip but they never did anything that couples did. Maybe Jane could play matchmaker.

                Kimiko smiled brightly and hugged Jane as Frenchie asked, "Are you sure?"

                     Jane nodded confidently as Kimiko let go of her. Frenchie scratched the back of his head before he sighed, "Alright. If you're sure."

            Kimiko quickly grabbed his hand and pulled Frenchie along with her. She heard Frenchie mutter as they walked away, "Slow down, mon coeur."

             Jane chuckled before going her separate way.

_____

Soldier Boy: A Musical
Journey played in front of her. She sat in a back row with a hood over her head; the dye in her hair was already gone.

She listened to the voiceover as images flashed across the screen, "Soldier Boy grew up in the birthplace of American liberty. Born poor on the mean streets of South Philadelphia, he learned the values of hard work, tenacity and bravery. He used those values to
prove America's exceptionalism to the world."

"He defended us against the encroaching Red Menace. He helped guide America into a brighter future," and somehow a bright future consisted of an image of Soldier Boy with the creator of Playboy and the Playboy Bunnies.

She cringed at it and the thought of her own past because she used to be a Playboy Bunny. She wondered how much of his own past was complete bullshit; probably most of it.

"...and along the way, he found the love of a good woman, which made his sacrifice all the more noble when he gave his life saving us from a nuclear holocaust. Please join us in saluting Soldier Boy."