six

EPISODE SIX

           Jane didn't move from her bed. She ignored everything which Vought didn't take very well but she didn't care. The day of the funeral came but she couldn't bring herself to go.

            "Come on, Jane. You'll regret it if you don't go," John tried to reason with her.

              "No, I won't," she clutched her pillow tighter as she laid under the covers. Why would she want to see an empty coffin? There was nothing there for her to mourn; there was only an empty space in her life that he had left behind.

               "Jane," he said forcefully.

             "No," she glared at him.

           He analyzed her before he scooped her up in his arms and she fought against his hold as she pushed against his chest.

               "No!" she glared before she pleaded. "I don't want to go, John. Please don't make me go."

                He looked at her green eyes and he sighed, setting her down on the ground, "Jane, it's expected of you."

                "I don't care," she said defiantly and got back into bed, clutching Seb's pillow that still smelt like him. She turned her back from him as tears filled her eyes. "Just leave me alone."

                He shook his head but nevertheless left.

               _____

             Vought wanted her to make a statement about Stone and she couldn't ignore them forever. They did a press conference and she had bags under her eyes. She stood behind a mic box as reporters asked her a whole bunch of questions. Silly questions.

                "Ivy, everyone is dying to know how you're doing after the tragedy with Stone?"

                Jane didn't speak for a moment as her jaw clenched, "How am I doing?"

                "The only reason I'm here is because of all of you need to know if I'm sad," she said angrily before she shouted. "Of course I'm fucking sad!"

               She started to cry as her shoulders shook and everyone went deathly silent. She looked up at the sky and she flew away.

                ____

                 She landed in the cemetery and she sat on her knees in front of a headstone. She traced over his engraved name. She must have sat there for hours just crying until she couldn't cry anymore. Until she realized that the one person she wanted to hear her cries would never hear them at all.

               There was no body in the ground to mourn, just a name. She looked at her ring as she placed her palm on the headstone.

               She hated it. It was just a reminder of all the vows she could never make and of the lifetime she could never have.

                She took it off her hand and set it on the ground. Silent tears rolled down her face as she used her powers to have the ground open up and carry it six feet under.