twenty-five

The angel was still unconscious in his arms.

At least, that was what he thought of her; how could he not when the first thing he woke to a was a woman dressed in white. She was a beautiful savior.

Soldier Boy carried her past the lab and into the woods that surrounded it. The lab had been outside civilization. He got off the road so the Russians wouldn't find him again.

He found an old abandoned shack with beer bottles thrown everywhere. He found a room with an old, tattered bed and he set her down gently.

He got to looking around the place and found clothes that he put on. He also found a half-empty bottle of alcohol that he started drinking from.

He sat on the floor next to the bed and waited for her to wake up. All the while he took swigs of the alcoholic beverage.

It was safe to say that his mind was still kind of scattered and he needed to be numb. Or at least try to be. Because all he was filled with was rage and pain.

He ended up waiting a whole day and she still hadn't waken up. He wondered if she would but he wouldn't leave her; not until her heart stopped beating.

He had decided in his wait that he would go out and look for the road and figure out exactly where they were. To figure out if they were even going in the direction of the city or not.

He didn't think there would be any danger leaving her for only a moment. But there was.

Russian special forces were combing through the area. They were looking for Soldier Boy and they followed the increasing amount of radiation.

They surrounded the shack and entered carefully. They entered the bedroom to find an unconscious Poison Ivy.

              The radiation detector clicked loudly as they held it up to her. It was much higher than any readings they had for Soldier Boy.

             They exited the bedroom before the leader of the squad communicated with his supervisor through the channel in his ear. We found the superhero, Ivy. No sign of the soldier.

              Find the soldier and take the girl.

              The leader was given his orders and he commanded two of his men, "Bag the girl."

            Two of the men entered the bedroom again to place Ivy in a body bag before a voice spoke up from the entrance to the little shack, "Hey dickwads...don't you know any manners? You're supposed to woo the girl first."

            He had a sarcastic smirk as he faced down the ten members of the Russian forces. The leader still kept a straight face, "Gas him and bag him, boys."

            They all raised their guns and started shooting. The bullets did nothing and Soldier Boy attacked, chucking a soldier into another before grabbing one and throwing him so hard that he went flying through the wall to the outside of the shack.

              Then he got tackled to the ground by a very big man. The rest of them started kicking him before swung his arm out forcefully to the legs, breaking the bones.

              While some were down, it allowed him to get back up. But the rest of them threw themselves on his back, trying to bring him down.

               "Get the fucking gas!"

              A gas mask was suddenly over his nose and mouth. And he breathed in that fucking poison.

               At that moment, Jane opened her eyes. She was quickly alarmed by the fact she was in an open body bag. (The men that were with her left to fight Soldier Boy).

             She got up sluggishly and walked out of the room. When she saw the fight, she stood tall and intimidating as her eyes glowed.

             She flung her hand out and the rest of the men (that weren't crying in agony on the floor) went flying backwards from the wind and hit the wall. Soldier Boy fell to his knees on the ground and he ripped the gas mask off as he coughed.

             "You have two options: you can run or you can burn," she said to those that were still able to fight as her hands lit up with red flames.

             They all quickly got up and grabbed the fallen comrades that were still alive before rushing out. As soon as they were gone, her flames immediately extinguished as she stumbled over to Soldier Boy.

               She fell to her knees in front of him as she was still extremely weak and tired. She rubbed his back (which made his chest light up along with hers) as he coughed and she questioned frantically, "Are you okay? Did they hurt you?"

                 He looked up at her, breathing heavily, as he stopped coughing and he smirked slightly, "I don't get hurt, angel."

               He coughed lightly again, "But let's get out of this fucking country."

               She smiled, "I'd like nothing more."

               _____

                The unexpected duo walked the road now into the city and their hands brushed as they walked. Their chests lit up with light each time it happened.

           They didn't touch for too long, not enough to cause an explosion, but their hands kept brushing, neither one of them acknowledging that they liked it because it felt like a lovely warmth that set every cell on fire. It was like they would be burn just to be near each other.

             "Why did you take me?" she questioned as they walked.

             "I thought...you were someone else," he said sadly and bitterly. "But turns out she's just a fucking traitor like the rest of them. Fucking Payback."

              She furrowed her eyebrows but she didn't question it. Not yet. She didn't want to push the topic.

             "So I know you're Soldier Boy...but what's your name?"

               "I'll tell you my name if I can take you to bed, angel," he smirked slightly.

                She gave him a look that told him no although she wasn't entirely turned off to the idea. He was insanely good-looking even with the crazy beard. And the nickname he gave her was just icing on the cake.

             He rolled his eyes, "Ben."

                  "Jane," she smiled slightly and he thought it was a damn beautiful smile.

             Their hands brushed again and their chests lit up slightly.

              "Why the fuck does that keep happening?" he questioned.

               "I don't know," she said but she had an idea on where to start.