Chapter 39

"Suns coming up." Gale jogged down the stairs. "There is some small arms fire. It could be Paylor or Lyme. Rebels are close." They still didn't have a plan.

"This is it," Cressida whispered. The fight was getting closer. It wouldn't be long before everything came to an end. There was only going to be one winner. It had to be them. Snow had to die.

Suddenly, the screen chimed. The screen displayed two words, Mandatory Viewing. Snow's face appeared right after. "To all Capitol citizens more than a half-mile outside the City Circle. I am declaring a mandatory evacuation." Carson stared blankly at the screen. "Come to my mansion. I am promising you both shelter and sanctuary. All refugees, come to my home. You will be provided with food, medicine, and safety for your children. You will have my solemn oath to protect you until my dying breath."

"Wish he'd hurry up with that last part," Cressida added.

"Our enemy is not like us. They do not share our values. They have never known our comfort and our sophistication. And they despise us for it. Make no mistake. They are not coming to liberate us. They are coming to destroy our way of life. They are coming to bury us." The announcement ended.

"Is he still in the mansion?" Peeta didn't respond. He seemed to be in a daze. "Peeta?"

He was brought back to reality. "Yeah," he confirmed. "I recognize the room."

"Where is that?" They needed a plan before they went after Snow.

Katniss pulled out a map. "About five blocks from here."

"We are here," Cressida pointed at the map. "Right off the Avenues. The mansion is here." She pointed at a different part of the map. It wasn't far. It seemed possible.

"What about pods?" They no longer had the Holo to help them. The reminder of Finnick made her sick, but she couldn't think about him. Not until everything was over.

"I think they'll deactivate the pods," Cressida began. "For the resident's safety."

"That could work." It had to work. "I could get close enough."

Gale had his doubts. "Every Peacekeeper will be waiting." Everyone would be looking for them.

"Next to our faces on every billboard."

"Snow is offering shelter to the refugees," Katniss said.

"We could walk right in," Carson whispered. "But there are too many of us. We'll draw a lot of unwanted attention."

Gale stood up straighter. "Unless not all of us go."

"What do you mean?" Peeta didn't understand.

"Carson's right," he said. "There's too many of us." It would draw attention.

Katniss nodded in agreement. "Are best chance is Gale, Carson, and I heading to the mansion. We can blend it with the others."

Pollux tapped her arm. "What about us?" He signed nervously. He didn't want Carson going without him. The idea of losing her terrified him.

"What did he say?" Katniss wanted to know. She cared about his input.

"He said, what about us?" Katniss didn't respond.

"Radio Plutarch. He'll send a truck. You'll be safe." She agreed with Gale's suggestion.

"It's the best plan," Carson said. It was the only plan that could guarantee Pollux's safety. "I say we go for it."

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Head straight north," Cressida explained to the three. They were wearing layers of Capitol clothing. It would help them blend in. "There will be thousands of refugees." Carson needed to remember every word. "Get into the stream of people and keep your heads down."