Chapter 26

There was a lot on Carson's mind.

There had been since the incident the prior day. She could only think about Pollux. The way he kissed her. Even thinking about it caused her heart to race. It had been a long time since Carson felt that alive.

It was magical.

Her skin felt hot at the thought. She cleared her throat, keeping her eyes on the table full of knives. There wasn't time to think about her feelings. Katniss was healing. The outfit she wore stopped the bullets from reaching her body. It wouldn't be long until the Mockingjay was back on her feet and continuing to lead the fight.

Carson knew she would follow Katniss anywhere. She would follow the younger girl into war, no matter the cost.

The world was at war, but eventually, that war would end. Carson wanted to be sure their side won. The world would be a better place once Snow was dead. The games would end. There would be no more fear, just freedom. That was all she wanted for Charlie.

Charlie deserved to grow up in that type of world.

Carson had spent her time alone since arriving back in District 13. She hadn't spoken to anyone besides Charlie, but the young girl was too tired to put together a coherent sentence.

Grabbing a knife, she threw it at the target. It didn't hit the board. The metal embedded itself in the wall. "Shit," she sighed, rubbing her jaw. Carson was not able to focus properly, and it was affecting her aim. That wasn't good. If she was in a war zone, she could get herself or someone else killed. It was careless. It was selfish. Shaking her head, she pressed her palms against the cold metal of the table.

Think clearly, she thought. Think about anything other than Pollux. That was easier said than done. Carson couldn't stop thinking about him. It had been that way for a while, but after kissing him, it was much worse.

Carson felt like a child with her first crush. It was ridiculous and irresponsible.

Suddenly, the door opened. Carson glanced at the figure approaching, assuming with was Finnick coming to question her about why she wasn't in the medical wing. But it wasn't Finnick. It was Pollux. His steps were heavy but confident.

"Hey," Carson sputtered, growing nervous at the sight of him. "I was just about to come find you." That got Pollux's attention. He approached her quickly, stopping a foot in front of her. He waved his hand, telling her to continue. Clearing her throat, she felt the heat rise to her cheeks. She could barely look him in the eye. Part of her was embarrassed about kissing him without asking. What if he kissed her out of pity? She was crying. Maybe he felt bad for her. "I'm sorry about yesterday." That wasn't what he was expecting. "I'm sorry if I overstepped or-" Carson was cut off by Pollux. He kissed her, this time differently. It was more passionate. Instantly, she kissed him back. Her hands rested comfortably on his chest while his rested on her hips.

Caron pushed onto her toes, hand traveling to the back of his neck to bring him closer. Pollux moved forward, pushing Carson against the table. It squeaked from the pressure causing her to giggle against his lips.

Before she could do anything else, a voice spoke. "Woah," Charlie gasped, eyes wide with glee.

Carson pulled away quickly, her cheeks darkening. "Charlie." She wasn't expecting her. "Hey, hi." Charlie beamed. "What-What are you doing here?"

"Looking for you." The young girl crossed her arms, a sly smirk forming on her face. "Thought you might be lonely, but I can clearly see I was mistaken." Carson sent her a warning look. It didn't stop her. "Go back to whatever it was you were planning on doing." Charlie slipped out of the room. "Oh man," she spoke only to herself. "I'm going to have so much fun with this."