Chapter 52: The Black Dragon

Shortly after leaving the waterfall cave, they hear the sound of something approaching them. Before long a gust of wind strikes the ground. The wind knocks Will over. He looks up and points shouting, "There it is."

Zane looks up and sees that there is a large black dragon in the air. It flies down and dives right at Will. Before it has the chance to make contact with him, Hajime grabs Will and uses a skill to quickly get Will out of the way of the dragon's attack.

Hajime looks at the monster for the first time at this point and says, "Ah, the dragon."

Right after this the dragon rears back its head. It then proceeds to send a blast of dragonfire at the group. Hajime quickly runs up and pulls a shield out of his treasure trove. He then blocks the dragonfire with the shield. He is clearly struggling to hold back the attack. Both Yuka and Atsushi run up to help Hajime keep the shield held up.

Eventually, the dragon ends its attack. When it does, Shea runs up to attack the dragon. She manages to land a hit on the dragon. Despite the solid contact, the dragon shrugs this attack off as if it did no damage. It then proceeds to knock Shea to the ground.

Hajime summons out two guns and begins to shoot at the dragon. These attacks do no damage to it. The dragon then arches its neck as if it is going to use its fire again. It is clearly targeting Will. Zane sees this and runs in front of Will. He then uses magic to create a barrier that blocks the dragonfire.

Seeing this Yue comments quietly, "He should not have enough mana to bold a barrier up against a barrage of dragonfire for more than a few seconds."

This proves to be false though, as the barrier holds. Once the dragon has stopped the assault, it then flies back up in the air. This makes it too hard for anyone on the ground to reach it except with ranged weapons.

Wanting to help, Yuka throws two daggers at the dragon. At the same time Atsushi sends a wind slash from his sword at the dragon. As these attacks near the dragon, it roars. This roar is powerful enough that it repels the attacks that are coming at it.

At this point, Zane calls upon a powerful blast of lightning. This blast hits the dragon right in the head and knocks it out of the sky. The dragon comes crashing down on the ground right in front of where Zane is standing. The impact causes the ground to shake quite a bit.

With the dragon now grounded, Hajime pulls out an azanthium pile bunker. He is planning on using this to pierce the dragon's hide. However, as he gets close to the dragon, it starts to get up. It appears like it is going to fly away again. Before it gets more than a foot off of the ground, Shea jumps up and slams a massive hammer into the side of the dragon's head. The dragon shakes this off and knocks Shea out of the way. She goes flying into the water nearby.

Right after this has happened, Yue uses a gravity magic spell to force the dragon down to the ground. Hajime then moves over to the dragon. He puts the pile bunker down over the dragon. He then is about to activate it when the dragon manages to break free from Yue's spell.

Having overcome the spell that Yue was using, the dragon knocks Hajime and the pile bunker away. The pile bunker is broken in the process. The dragon then sends a fireball at Will. Yue quickly moves in front of Will and creates an ice shell that protects the two of them from the attack.

At this point Hajime says, "Yue protect the others. They are just getting in my way here."

Hearing this the group runs back to hide behind where Yue is standing. As they are doing this, Zane hears Yuka say, "I thought that we would be able to help Nagumo, but we are really just getting in his way, aren't we?"

Meanwhile, Hajime says under his breath, "I am not used to monster's ignoring me. I guess that I will just have to get its attention.

Hajime proceeds to fire his guns at the dragon once again. He manages to hit the dragon in its eye which causes it to finally focus on Hajime. When it does, Hajime says, "Shea now."