Chapter 42: The Front Lines

Early the following morning, just as the sun is coming up, Zane is shaken awake by Abel. Once he is awake, Zane follows Cain and Abel out of the room they are in. They then walk into the main room of the guildhall where there is a breakfast of toast and bacon already made from them.

All three of the adventurers quickly go over to the food and eat it. Then they walk out of the guildhall and head to the southern end of the town. This is where all of the adventures are supposed to meet that are heading off to the battlefield.

As Zane is walking through the town, he notices how much damage was actually done the previous night. Given how dark it was when all the fighting was going on, Zane did not realize what damage was actually done. Now he can see that several houses were destroyed by lightning. A few of them also seem to have been flooded by all of the water.

Eventually, the group of three adventurers makes it to the edge of the town. When they get there, they find that there is a member of the Heiligh knights waiting. Zane, Cain, and Abel all join the group that is waiting by this knight for the other adventurers to arrive.

Before long all but the two adventurers that are just pretending to go have arrived. The knight says, "We just have two more people to wait for now."

"Don't worry about them. I bet they chickened out. We should just get moving already," Cain declares.

The knight replies, "I suppose that we are already late for our departure. Very well then. Let us all get a move on. We have a long way to go until we reach the battlefield."

With this the knight then climbs on his horse and begins to lead the adventurers, who are all on foot, to the south. The group is walking for quite some time, and Zane is starting to get tired due to not getting enough sleep. He however, manages to keep himself awake by pinching himself as they are walking.

Eventually, the knight comes to a stop and tells them to set up camp for the night. Zane is grateful for this as he is still exhausted. After a very quick meal, Zane goes to sleep on the ground. He manages to fall asleep much easier this time, despite him going to sleep on the ground.

The next morning the group begins the trip once again. They walk all day while the sun is up. Once the sun has finally set, they come to a stop and set up camp for the night. They follow this same pattern for the next two days as well.

On the fifth day of their trip, the group finally spots the makings of a camp. As they near this camp, Zane realizes that it is a military camp that has been set up by the soldiers near the southern border of the kingdom. This camp is positioned just slightly north of the Reisen Gorge in the western part of Tortus. There are guards posted all throughout the camp that are meant to keep it safe from any attackers.

When the group arrives, the knight explains to one of the guards that he has brought the adventurers that were asked to help in the war. The guard is grateful to hear about this. He then quickly goes to tell the commanding officer of the company of soldiers.

Upon hearing of the adventurers' arrival, the commanding officer asks for the adventurers to be brought to his tent. The group is then led to a very large and lavish tent that is in the center of the military camp. This is the tent that the commander of the Heiligh forces is staying in.

As the adventurers are shown into the tent, Zane sees that there is an overweight man sitting at the far end of the tent. He has two knights on either side of him. Due to the size of the tent all of the adventurers are able to fit in the tent with there still being ten feet between the front of the adventurers and the chair with the large man in it.

Once all of the adventurers have come into the tent, the large man stands up. He says, "My name is Hector Von Mcdale. I am the commander of this company of soldiers. It is my understanding that you all have volunteered to aid us in this fight. I am going to assign you to the various divisions in my company so that we can better direct you."