Chapter 16: Mountain Adventure

Right after accepting the job from the woman, Jonathan and Zane listen to where the woman claims that her daughter often goes to plan on the mountain. Jonathan knows the area fairly well based on the questions that he asks the woman about the place.

Once Jonathan knows where they need to go, he and Zane head out of the Adventurer's Guild. As Zane has no idea where they are going, he follows after Jonathan. The two of them leave the city limits of Horaud and then turn towards the small mountain range that is to the left of the road that leads down into Horaud.

Jonathan heads towards the mountain range, and Zane follows. As they are walking Zane asks, "Do you know this area well or something?"

"Yeah, I grew up in Horaud before I ran away from home. I used to come here to play when I lived around here. I even got lost up here one time when I was eight. My mom sent adventurers to rescue me just like we are doing now," Jonathan replies.

"It sounds like this happens somewhat often," Zane comments.

Jonathan says, "Not all that often. However, I do know of a few other cases." He then goes quiet for a second before saying, "As it happens I decided to become an adventurer because of that experience when I was little."

"I guess you would look up to adventurers after being saved by them," Zane comments.

Jonathan states, "That is part of it. But I also felt like I needed to be an adventurer to be able to play up here in the mountains without worrying my mom. In fact right after becoming an adventurer I came up here just for old times sake."

Zane does not say anything in response to this. As a result there is a short lull in the conversation. This lull ends when Jonathan asks, "So why did you want to become an adventurer?"

"Honestly, I just needed a job and that was the only one that I could find," Zane replies.

"Really? With your talent for healing I would think that becoming a doctor would have been a natural job for you," Jonathan replies.

"I am really not all that talented. I just happen to have come across a special liquid that can heal almost any injury. That is how I handle most cases. A real doctor could probably do much better than that," Zane explains.

"Well if you say so," Jonathan states. He then asks, "So how have you been since I last saw you? I see that you got clothes that actually fit and seem to finally be able to pay for your own food."

Zane says, "I ran into some good luck in Ur. I healed the owner of the Water Spirit Inn from some type of illness. As a result they started to give me free food and a place to sleep. They even gave me clothes and the sword that I have now."

"The Seluos have always been nice people. If you managed to heal Mr. Seluo I am sure they would be beyond grateful for that. The whole town is probably grateful for you doing that for him," Jonathan states.

"I was just trying to help out, since his wife seemed to be upset about something. She also seemed like she had too much on her plate to handle, so I was just trying to help her out any way that I could," Zane explains.

"Regardless, it was still a good thing you did," Jonathan states.

At this point Jonathan says, "We are nearing where monsters start to show up on the mountain, so be on guard. Most of them are not all that powerful, but it is going to get dark very soon. If you get caught off guard it could cost you your life."

This causes Zane to turn his attention to the mountain. He looks around cautiously for any sign of monsters. He does not see anything as they keep going up the mountain, which he is glad about since he is not sure how well he will do in a fight against the monsters on the mountain.