Chapter 71: Mana Overload

Following Zane forming a pact with the Kirin, he is led back to the center of the city by Ulfric. Once there, Ulfric shows Zane the way back to the tree where the two of them first met. As they are making their way back here, Zane notices that a number of the beastmen in Verbergen are giving him cautious looks. It is clear to him that the residents of the city don't trust him because he is a human.

Upon reaching the tree where Ulfric's house is, Ulfric says, "I know this is going to sound rather harsh of me. However, now that you have received your payment for rescuing Luna, I ask that you prepare to leave."

Zane says, "It is fine. I have gotten the impression that while we were let into the city, the people are not fond of us being here."

"That is unfortunately the case. I realize that you are one of the chosen that has cleared one of the Great Labyrinths. Part of the teachings of the beastmen say that we should do all that we can to help anyone that has cleared one of those labyrinths. However, the bad blood between humans and beastmen is too deep to just ignore," Ulfric explains.

"Don't worry about it. I will leave with my two companions as soon as they are ready. However, before I go. I have something I want to ask you," Zane says.

"Ask away," Ulfric replies.

Zane states, "There will come a time when I will need to enter the labyrinth that is here in the Sea of Trees. When that time comes, would you be willing to at the very least provide me with a guide to the entrance of the labyrinth."

"I believe I can arrange that. Of course, you will have to find your way here to Verbergen in order for me to even know that you are ready to enter the labyrinth," Ulfric says.

"I will figure that out when the time comes," Zane replies.

At this point, Zane makes his way back to the tree where the guest rooms are located. When he is nearing this tree, Zane sees that a group of beastmen has gathered around the base of the tree. Some of them appear to be acting rather hostility which worries Zane.

As Zane draws near to the tree, one of the guards from the previous night runs up to him. The guard says, "The people are starting to get upset about us allowing you and your companions to come into the city. They are asking that you be thrown out immediately."

"I am sorry about that," Zane replies. He then says, "My companions and I are just about to leave. Hopefully that will calm things down."

"Alright. I will escort you through the crowd. Then please explain to them that you need to leave as soon as possible. Your presence is causing a great deal of unrest," the guard says.

At this point, Zane is led by the guard through the group of beastmen that have gathered around the tree. Several of the beastmen see Zane traveling through the group and shout various rude things at him. Zane ignores each of these statements by the beastmen as he knows that they are only acting like this because of how badly humans have treated them in the past.

Upon reaching the base of the tree that the guest rooms are in, Zane walks up the stairs to the door that should lead to Kaori and Shizuku's room. When he reaches the door he knocks on it. Zane then says, "It is me. We need to get going."

At this point, Kaori opens the door and allows Zane to enter the room. Once he is inside Kaori says, "I am glad to see that you made it back here. I was a little worried that some of the beastmen might have attacked you."

"No, I was just getting my payment for saving Luna. Now that I have it, it is time for us to go," Zane states.

Shizuku says, "I am fine with that. However, I don't see how we are going to make it back out of the forest without a guide."