Chapter 89: Web of Lies

At the arena, where the students were all heading, they found a large number of soldiers. These soldiers and knights all seem to have gathered there to receive further orders. Each of them has the same blank stare in their eyes that Nia had. This is concerning to Liliana. As such she starts looking around for Shizuku and Kaori.

Liliana spots Shizuku and Kaori. They are both unconscious and being carried at this point. Seeing this she runs back to where Kouki and Ryutarou are at. She then declares, "What is going on?"

Kouki states, "The Divine Priestess told us that Shizuku and Kaori were kidnapped by a pactmaster. She also shared that it was highly likely that they would be brainwashed by a monster that he possesses. She told us that the monster may force them to attack us. She also said the monster has no effect on their minds while they are unconscious, which is while we had to knock them out."

"That is insane," Liliana says. She then says, "Zane would not brainwash anyone. He is not even a pactmaster anymore."

Suzu comments, "The Divine Priestess said that she just needed to take a look at them and they needed to be unconscious for her to do it. I am sure that she will find that they are perfectly fine and that Zane did not do anything to them."

"This all makes no sense," Liliana states.

"She is right. They are our classmates," Nana says.

Taeko states, "Nana is right. Attacking our classmates is just wrong. Regardless of what we were told it was still wrong of you to attack them."

"If Ms. Aiko was here, I am sure she would have plenty to say about it too," Yuka declares.

Kouki says, "Don't you think I already know how wrong this is. It is just that in order for them to get the proper care they need to recover from the damage that Zane did to them they had to be unconscious. All of you heard the Divine Priestess tell us that. I am not any happier about it than all of you, but that does not change the facts. I would rather have to hurt my friends a little so they can get proper treatment than leave them as puppets of a pactmaster."

"That is assuming that Zane actually did anything to them. I traveled here with them and Zane didn't seem to have done anything to either of them," Liliana states.

Ryutarou says, "All we know is what the Divine Priestess told us."

At this point a portal appears out of nowhere. Once the portal has appeared, Pope Ishtar and Divine Priestess Isis quickly jump through it. The portal then closes as fast as it appeared.

Seeing this Kouki asks, "Your Holiness, what are you doing here?"

Pope Ishtar says, "It is awful. Divine Mountain has been attacked. It was about to be destroyed by a dragon. We put up a barrier to protect it, but it was about to break. Luckily, Isis managed to use magic to get us both to safety right before the dragon managed to bring down the barrier. However, I am sure that all the others are dead now."

"Divine Mountain was attacked?" Ryutarou asks.

"Yes it was," Pope Ishtar replies.

Kouki states, "Then the demons managed to attack the mountain while also having the forces to attack the Capital."

"It was not the demons that attacked the Divine Mountain. It was the heretic Hajime and his dragon companion. An agent of god went out to engage them in battle. The dragon managed to slip by though as god's apostle was dealing with the heretic," Pope Ishtar says.

Liliana states, "No, that is not true. They went there to rescue Ms. Aiko."

"Rescue Ms. Aiko?" Kouki asks. He then says, "What are you talking about Princess?"