Chapter 34: Wind and Thunder

Seeing these tornadoes starting to form, the adventurers all turn their attention to them. Six of the lower rank adventurers, including Bethany and Alex, rush towards one of the tornadoes rather recklessly. As these people near the tornado, these adventurers are picked up by the powerful winds and flung hundreds of miles away, where they collide with the ground and die.

Once this has happened, one of the gold rank adventurers states, "We are going to have to be more strategic about this. Since there is no one to rescue we are going to have to work as a team to take down these monsters. I suggest that we break into three teams to take down whatever is causing these tornadoes.

"Team one is going to be primarily mages. They will go in and use magic on the tornadoes. This team's job is going to be using magic to slow down the winds of the tornado so that we can actually approach whatever is inside of the storm. You can do this however you can think of. Just slow the winds down.

"The second team is going to be those that can move quickly and strike hard. These people will rush into the center of the slowed tornado and capture or kill whatever is inside of it. This will be the most dangerous of the jobs, so only the very best of us should be doing this.

"As for the third team. They will be in charge of supporting the others in any way possible. Any of you that have medical knowledge should be on this team. If someone gets hurt, then you will be in charge of treating their injuries. These people also will have the job of watching out for more monsters so that we are not caught off guard as we fight these tornadoes."

Once this has been explained to everyone, the adventurers divide themselves up into three teams as suggested. The second team ends up being larger than the other two groups despite them not needing that many people. There are ten people on team one, twelve on team two, and two on team three. Zane is one of those that chooses to be on team three, since he believes his medical skills will be needed here.

With the groups now formed, they start to make their way towards the closest of the tornadoes. This tornado is slowly inching towards them as well. Team one members start to cast magic at this tornado to try to slow it down. They use fire magic, ice magic, and wind magic.

Due to each of the casters having to speak an incantation before they are able to cast the spell, it takes some time for each spell to be cast. However, eventually it is learned that using wind magic to try to manipulate the wind in the tornado allows them to slow it down somewhat.

When this is realized, all ten of the people on this team use wind magic. This slows the tornado down to where a small body can be seen flying high in the center of it. At this point, the second team rushes in to attack or kill the monster that is at the center of the tornado.

As this team is moving in to try to secure the monster, Zane thinks to himself about how odd it is that such a small monster is able to control such a large wind storm. He is also curious as to how the adventurers plan to attack a monster that is flying over forty feet in the air.

Zane soon gets his answer to the second of these questions, when he sees members of team two start to cast spells at the monster. One of them summons a large shard of ice that goes up and pierces the monster. This blow kills the monster in one strike. As the monster dies the tornado it was casting also dies down.

Now that this monster is dead, Zane walks over to see what it was. He sees a small creature that reminds him of a fairy from video games that he used to play. He hears one of the adventurers comment that it is a sylph. Apparently, they are a relatively rare monster to see.

The adventurers soon have to turn their attention away from this now dead sylph to deal with the second of the tornadoes that is nearing them at this point. The adventurers move forward to execute the same plan that they just used on the last tornado.