Chapter 17: Treasure Hunt

The following morning when Zane gets up, he heads over to the Adventurer's Guild to see if there are any jobs for him to do for that day. Upon getting there Zane finds that there is a well dressed man at the counter talking to the clerk. From what Zane can tell, the man is looking for adventurers to help him with something.

Zane overhears the clerk say, "I understand the situation, we are a bit short on adventurers at the moment though. A number of the higher ranking ones are still not back from the mountains nearby. They are hunting a stone golem that could be a threat to Horaud."

The man says, "I don't need high ranking adventurers. I only really need one more person to join in the job. Anyone will do, since I already have several experienced people that are going to be helping out."

"I understand that. However, since you are going to the Nallism Ruins, I think it would be best to not send anyone that is lacking experience," the clerk states.

"Don't worry about that," the man states. He then happens to notice Zane standing in the guild hall. The man calls over to Zane saying, "You are an adventurer, aren't you?"

Zane replies, "I am."

"Great. My name is Markham Douglas and I need an adventurer to help me with a job. I will pay you 100,000 luta for the help," the man declares.

"What kind of job is it?" Zane asks.

Before the man has a chance to respond the clerk states, "It would be too dangerous for you to take on, Mr. Martin."

Mr. Douglas declares, "Nonsense. He will be perfectly fine. I have three gold rank adventurers going with me as well as two of my own personal guards. He will be completely fine. I really just need one more person to help with some of the puzzles that require a number of people to solve."

"So you claim. It is still dangerous to send him though," the clerk states.

Zane replies, "If you really need the help, then I don't mind." He then asks, "What exactly would I be doing though?"

Mr. Douglas states, "I am sure that you know how the Nallism Ruins are a complex system of catacombs filled with puzzles. As it would happen rumors claim there is also a tremendous amount of treasure within the catacombs. My plan is to go and collect this treasure and bring it back here to my home in Horaud to fund activities around the city."

"I guess that is a good cause to be spending the money on. Are you sure that an inexperienced adventurer will do though?" Zane asks.

"I am positive. All you will have to do is follow the instructions that you are given to help disarm a few traps and things like that. It will not be a problem at all," Mr. Douglas states.

"Well then I will help," Zane says.

"Great, then let us be on our way. I already have a carriage prepared to take the entire group to the ruins," Mr. Douglas exclaims as he walks out of the guild hall.

Zane turns around to go and follow the man out. As he does this he hears the clerk say from behind the counter, "By careful out there Mr. Martin. The Nallism Ruins have spelled the end for a number of lower ranking adventurers."

"I will be careful," Zane replies as he walks out of the guild hall.

Zane follows Mr. Douglas to a large mansion that is in the town of Horaud. He learns from Mr. Douglas that the building is his home. He tells Zane to wait outside while he goes and gets the rest of the party. Zane does exactly this, and stands outside the gate of the house for close to twenty minutes.

When the group arrives, Zane is introduced to the adventurers Meghan Domes, Margaret Thatcher, and Madeline Clark. There are also two male guards that are accompanying Mr. Douglas out of the home. They are named Jackson Smalls and Wang Yu.