|7| Tender heart

Monday.

The first day of the week. The one that some see as a new start for a better week, while others see it as the worst thing because it means another week of school and some are still not sober since their last evening.

This is not my case, I am in between. I am neither happy nor hungover. I'm simply not ready to face so many people, all these equations and these lessons far too long.

Fortunately, there is always Cami, Peter, Levi, and my brothers to put me in a good mood. Without them, school is really boring. I guess I would already be planning how to quit it and do something more revealing with my life. And then, I must not forget Jared, Marco, and especially James.

Marco and James together are quite a story, they're so funny and bickering all the time, but I know they love each other. My brother is really lucky to have all of them as friends. They have a nice group and a good dynamic, they share the same passion and have the same topics for discussion.

They all welcomed me with open arms, it's a bit like I have known them for a long time. I'm really happy to have them around me. Besides, I always spent my time with a lot of boys, so one or three more doesn't change much.

Of course, Camila is also friends with them, so I'm not always the only girl. There are also the other cheerleaders, but the only ones I tolerate outside of Cami are Mia and Nina. The others are nice, but they are not very talkative, and then, when captain Mackenzie is around, most do not even dare to speak to me lest she yells at them. This girl hates me and I can't stand her either, but I find it a shame that some people, like Nina or Mia, are hiding behind her.

Mia is super charming, her personality doesn't match the behaviors of Mackenzie and her followers, just like Nina. She is rather of the type of small intellectual, reader, who doesn't put on much makeup and who will not put on heels or mini skirts at school, plus she is not as mean as the others.

It's not my business, but I don't understand why she hangs out with them. I don't find her as happy as when she is at the table with all of us and laughing at James' stupid jokes or all the boys' nonsense. Yet, I don't know her well enough, so I wouldn't allow myself to comment on her dating life and her behavior. However, I know that I'm not the only one to think so and that someone, in particular, would like to say what he thinks about it.

****

The morning passes rather quickly, right now we are all eating. I discreetly watch Mia and James interact. I can see that they get along really well, yet she is romantically interested in Eliot, Levi's friend, when the latter pays her no attention. He is too obviously in love with Angela, Levi's other friend.

James knows it, but keeps talking to her and makes her laugh when he sees that Eliot is not interested in her stories. He listens to her, and when Eliot does not answer her, he takes over and chats with her to make her smile again. It touches him, it's as plain as a pikestaff, but this boy is a tender heart. He hides behind his jokes and nonsense, however, deep down he is very intelligent and takes care of everyone.

As soon as he sees that I have a little slack, he is often there to make me laugh and cheer me up. It's an instinct in him, and Mia deserves a boy like him, who takes care of her and who knows how to listen to her. Yet, she is so blinded by her obsession with Eliot that she can't see what she is missing.

I see him faking a smile and laughing when Eliot finally answers her, while she smiles as if there was no tomorrow. It makes him happy, but at the same time, it makes him sad since he is not the source of that smile.

One-sided love is so rotten.

I try to cheer him up, we chat, and I make jokes to make him laugh. I know he understands what I'm trying to do, and he appreciates it. He suggests that we leave the table and go get some fresh air because it's too hot in there. Of course, I know that's not the real reason, but I understand that he needs to get away from them and talk more in private