F I F T Y - F O U R

Samantha and Matthew decided to help lure the herd away from the walls of Alexandria. They both grabbed a couple of flares and they were off.

They went through the sewer system so they could go undetected. They both started running farther and farther away from Alexandria until eventually, they were a safe distance in front of the herd.

"1,2,3." And they both fired a flare. The walkers soon started heading their way. What was great about herds was you only had to get the attention of a couple and the rest would follow.

They started running again until they were two miles from where they once were. This time they fired one after the other having it take longer. And they always fired them forward to keep the walkers going that way.

"Sam," she put up a finger as she tried to catch her breath. He could see the herd getting closer to them. "We gotta keep going." He didn't want to rush her but it was either keep running or die.

"Ok, let's go." They once again started running. The walkers having seen them also did their best to run.

Both being the athletes they were they ran another 3 miles. The herd following their every move. They came to a stop and fired another flare.

They both had one left and continued running. 4 more miles out and they came to a stop. The walkers were now unable to see them. A long road ahead of them. They fired their flares and darted into the forest on the other side of the road. They stepped back waiting to see if it would work.

Neither could help the excitement to rush through their veins when they saw the walkers continue walking past them. Samantha heard a crunch behind her and pushed Matthew grabbing her sword and in record timing shoving her sword into the walker.

"You okay?" She whispered to him and he nodded. "Alright let's get out of here." They waited until they were farther into the forest to start running that way any noises they made wouldn't be heard by walkers.

As they ran Samantha came to a decision. She didn't want to live her life without truly living. She didn't want to live her life without trusting Matthew.

They had known each other for 6 months now which in the apocalypse was equal to years. Once they were in the safety of the sewer system she stopped him.

"I want us to do something." She said once they were face to face. He could tell she was serious he remained quiet giving her time.

"I need to see how far I can go sexually, and I want you to be that person." She looked at him hoping he would say yes. "Did you think I was gonna say no?" He asked confused by the scared look on her face. "No of course not, who would say no to me." She said sarcastically.

"If you trust me enough then yes." He smiled warmly. Once they got back they both showered.

Samantha was staring at the ceiling when he walked in. "Sam, you okay?" He asked choosing the door. "Yeah," she said not removing her eyes from the ceiling. He sat on the edge of the bed watching as she fidgeted. "When I was younger all through adulthood I was taken advantage of sexually, so my sister wouldn't have to. Then she killed herself, and it all happened for nothing. I told Daryl that and he gave me the advice, 'Maybe your sister felt guilty' which was probably the case. I didn't want you to do this without knowing the reason." Samantha realized that her life was no longer theirs to control. They were both dead so there was no reason for them to continue to affect her relationships.

"Don't say you're sorry because it already happened. Saying sorry doesn't make this easier saying, sorry won't make me forget. And if you do you're an insensitive jerkoff." She turned towards him. "Jerkoff?" He asked. "The best I could come up with." She said. "You sure you wanna do this?" He asked. "More than I could be." She grabbed his neck and brought their lips together.