Twenty-One

He leans down to kiss me. Nothing interrupts it this time. This is the best I've felt since my brother died. I finally have someone like my brother in my life again.
~Five months later~
I wake up next to Jax in our apartment. Yes, our. I smile at him. He's so cute when he sleeps. Jax's grandma was right we were cute together.
Will and Samira actually didn't end up getting married. She cheated on him before their wedding and he called it off.
Will's actually doing better now though. He lives in an apartment building down the street from me and Jax's. We talk occasionally and get along great now.
Jade's been doing pretty well for herself. She went to California for a better job, but we stay in touch.
Ivan's getting married to his pregnant girlfriend. She was so nice when they came to visit. They're having a baby boy.
Me? Jax and I have been living together for four months, ever since he asked me to be his.
I walk into the kitchen and make pancakes. Jax and my favorite food. It reminds me of the first time he slept here and it's been our breakfast food since then.
Jax walks out trying to push his hair down but failing miserably. He smiles at me, that half smile you can only achieve when you've just woken up. I smile back and continue making pancakes.
Jax stands by the window looking out. The sun shines on his face perfectly. If only I could get a picture of this perfect moment.
The perfect moment is ripped away by something crashing through the window. A mutant. I'd know that growl anywhere. It claws at Jax, bites his neck and arms. I grab my machete from under the sink. You can never be to careful. I slice the mutant's head off and run to Jax. I hold him in my arm. "Jax," I say, Tears streaking down my cheeks. "No," I whisper. "Ash," he says. "Look at me," I look down at his face. "I'll be in heaven when you arrive. Remember that," he says in a raspy voice. I nod tears running down my face even more now. "Ash," he says again. "If the apocalypse is starting again. Survive for me," He says and lets out his last breath.
Christian said almost the exact same thing. I cry into Jax's chest until I run out of tears. I hear my cell phone ring. "Will was killed by a mutant," Jade says on the other end. "I thought he was immune," I say. "It ripped him to shreds," she says. "There's no possible cure anymore," she says defeated. I hear a crash on the other end, a scream, then silence. "Jade?" I ask. "Jade!" I yell. No response.
I hear screaming from inside this building. I grab my backpack. Good thing I'm lazy because my backpack is still packed. I hop out the window onto the fire escape. Here we go again, I think to myself as I descend down the stairs.
                 End of book one...