Two

One... Two... Three! The man opened the closet. I held the machete to his throat. "Uh, guys," he said. I glared at him. "Guys," he said a little louder. His group walked over to us. "What do you want?" I hissed. They held their guns up at me. I glared at them. "Put it down," the blond ordered. I slowly put my machete down. They kept their guns held up at me. I kept a good grip on my machete, just in case. The blond moved his gun, signalling for me to leave the closet. I glared at him, but obliged. The brunette grabbed his gun and held it up at me. The blond put his down and grabbed my machete. He set it on the dresser. "Its getting dark," the black haired man said. "We should just stay here," the brunette said. The other men nodded. "Two of us will sleep, while the other watches the girl," the brunette ordered. "I'll take first watch," he said. "It's dangerous to keep her in here. Take her across the hall," the blond said.

The brunette grabbed my forearm and pulled me into the room across the hall. I sat in a chair at the desk. The windows were already boarded up. I put my feet up on the desk, grabbed a paper weight and started to mess around with it. The brunette didn't take his eyes off of me. "What?"I snapped. "Nothing. I just don't trust you," he said. "You're the one guy with the gun," I say. "You could just shoot me, take my stuff, and leave," I snapped. "Why would we do that?" he asked calmly. "Because what else are you going to do?" I asked. "Nothing," he said. "Exactly. Nothing. So just shoot me, take my stuff and leave" I said. "No," he snapped. I shut my mouth and sat at the desk staring at the paper weight in my hands. "Look," he said. I refused look at him. "I'm sorry, but I wouldn't just shoot someone for no reason. That's a waste of the very little human life there still is here," he said more calm now. I shook my head. "Don't be sorry," I said still looking down. "But why haven't you killed me yet?" I asked. "Yet?" he asked. I looked up at him and nodded. "We're not going to kill you," he said. "We'll probably just be on our way in the morning," he said. The room became silent. "What's your name?" he asked after a few minutes of awkward silence. "Ash," I replied. "Your's?" I asked. "Will," he said. I nodded. The room became silent once more. All you could hear was the sound of breathing.

  A car alarm went off loudly. I jumped out of my chair. Will put his gun up at me. I looked out the window. "A car a few blocks over must have been triggered," I said. "Every mutant for miles with be around soon," Will said. I nodded. "We need to leave," he said. He ran out of the room, and across the hall to wake up his friends. I grabbed my backpack and put both straps over my shoulders. I grabbed my bow and put it over my left shoulder. My machete was still on the dresser. I grabbed it and started walking out the door. "Where do you think you're going?" Will asked. "I'm leaving before the mutants show up," I said walking more out the door. "Wait," he said. I turned around. "Why don't you come with us? We've got a couple more people in our group and you can come with us," he offered. "I usually am solo," I said. He looked at me as if saying 'and how long will that last?' I sighed. "Fine," I said. "Good. You'll make a good addition to our group," He said. "Let's go then," I said. We all walked out the door. I gripped my machete tight. A mutant ran at me. I swung and cut its head clear off its shoulders. One was going for one of them. "Look out!" I yelled. It pinned him to the ground. I cut its head off. Will helped him up. "You alright?" Ivan asked. He nodded. We headed for their car. I sat in the backseat with the black haired man. Will was driving and the blond was in the passengers seat. "Oh, Ash this is Ivan," he said pointing to the blond. "And this is Nic," he said pointing to the black haired man. I nodded. "So is Ash short for Ashley then?" Ivan asked. "Yeah, but I don't like being called Ashley. I prefer Ash," I say. "Where exactly is the rest of your group?" I asked. "We're close," Will said keeping his eyes on the road. We pulled into a driveway and up to a large house. Will parked the car and I grabbed my stuff. I got out of the car and.looked up at the house in awe. Will chuckled. "I know. The house is pretty awesome," he said jokingly. I let out a small laugh. They lead me inside. Two girls were standing in the kitchen. One was a dirty blond, the other was brunette with blond streaks in her hair. The dirty blond welcomingly smiled at me. The other looked at me like I wasn't to me trusted. I'm not sure which was worse. "Ash, this is Alex," he said pointing to the dirty blond. "And this is Megan," he said pointing the the brunette. I nodded. "I'm Ash," I said. "Nice to meet you," Alex smiled. "Yeah," Megan added. "We should go hunting," Will suggested. "I'm in," Ivan said. "Count me out," Nic said. "Alright," Will said. "Let's head out," They both walked out the door. Inc went upstairs. There was an awkward silence. "So," I said breaking the silence. "So," Alex mimicked. "What do you do around here?" I asked. "Chores, hunt, read," Megan said. "Oh," I said. "We should get to know each other a little better," Alex suggested. "Sure," I said. "Yeah," Megan said. We sat at the kitchen table and talked until the boys got back.

"Guess what we got?" Ivan said happily walking in the door. "What?" Alex asked. "A buck," Will said. Will motioned for us all to follow. We all walked out onto the porch. A huge buck lie on the porch. "Wow," I said impressed. "We'll have to gut it later," Ivan said. "Help me take it to the garage," Will said picking half of it up off the porch. Ivan grabbed the other half. The brought it to the garage. I heard a low growl come from upstairs. It sounded like a wooden door was smashed. I heard the sound of running. I saw something pounce at me. It landed on me, I fell back and my head hit the ground. My vision faded into black.