Twenty

"I talked with Samira last night about you and I being friends," he states. "And?" I ask. "She.. Uh... She doesn't think it's a good idea."
I look at him like he's an idiot. "You're going to let your fiance dictate who you talk to?" I ask rudely. He looks at me and nods sadly. I sigh. "Will, we'll never stop being friends," I state. "But we'll just be apart for awhile," I say. He nods. "She doesn't want.you at the wedding either," he whispers. "That's not completely her decision, Will!" I shout. "Stand up to her," I tell him. "I-I can't," he says. I sigh. "Look, I've gotta go. I may or may not see you later," I rudely state and walk out. I walk back to my apartment, tears threatening to spill. I see Jax in the lobby. I try to avoid him. "Ash what's wrong?" he asks. I turn around and try to smile. "I'm fine," I say, my voice cracking. "I know that's not quite true," he says pulling me in for a hug. I cry into his chest. "Let's go up to your apartment and you can tell me what happened if you feel like sharing," he says.
We sit on the couch and I lean on his shoulder. "So what happened? If you don't mind my asking," he says. "Will, the guy I survived the apocalypse with, is getting married to a girl he met only last year," I say. Jax nods, but stays silent. I feel the tears forming again. "His fiance says we can't talk anymore and that I'm not allowed to be invited to their wedding," I say. Tears roll down my cheeks again. "I can tell that's only part of why you're sad," he says. I sigh. "I liked Will. We've known each other for a long time. I thought he liked me back, but I was wrong. So, so wrong," I say burying my head into his chest. "I'm sorry. I'm a mess," I say. He chuckles. "It's okay. I've been there before," he says. I nod.
We talk about everything until about ten o'clock. I feel my eyes get heavy. I don't want to fall asleep on Jax, but he's so comfortable. I soon fall asleep on Jax's shoulder.
~Jax's P.O.V.~
She's so beautiful. I know I just met her, but I really like her. It's terrible what Will did to her. He didn't deserve her anyways. I don't move because I'm afraid I'll wake her so I lie down and she lies next to me. I fall asleep too.
I wake up the next morning before Ash wakes up. I get up without waking her and walk into the kitchen. I rummage through the cupboards for something.to make for breakfast. I find complete pancake mix. I start making pancakes. I have a feeling she hasn't cleaned her fridge yet or gone shopping for food, but pancake mix should be fine. I put all the pancakes on a plate and look over at Ash. She looks so comfy, I don't want to wake her up. I walk over to her. "Ash," I whisper. She jolts up and seems to be reaching for something that would.be on her belt. She calms when she sees it's me. She sighs. "Sorry I scared you," I say. She smiles. "That's alright," she says and sniffs the air. "Is that pancakes?" she asks. I nod. She smiles and runs to the kitchen. We eat and talk. Man I could get used to this.
~Ash's P.O.V.~
Jax is so nice and not to mention cute. He made pancakes for the both of us. Which reminds me I need to go grocery shopping.
I get up and open the fridge. I throw all the food out. I go through the cupboards and do the same thing. I scrub the fridge. Jax just sits at the counter watching, but I don't mind.
I go to my room and change out of yesterday's clothes. I brush my hair and braid it.
I grab my wallet and look at Jax. "You wanna come grocery shopping today?" I ask. He nods. "But we should stop by my grandma's and tell her where I'm going and I need to change," he said. I nod.
He unlocks the door and holds it open for me. I walk in and see a huge apartment. "Com'on," he says grabbing my hand. He leads me more inside. "Grandma," he calls. "In here," she says. We walk to the source of the voice. An old lady stands at the kitchen sink doing the dishes. "Good morning, Jaxon," she says. He smiles. "Good morning grandma," he says back. "Who's this young lady?" she asks with a warm smile. "This is my friend, Ashley," he says. I don't flinch when he calls me Ashley. I don't get it. I usually hate when people call me Ashley, but for him it's so... Natural. "Hello, Ashley," she says I see her looking at my amputated arm for a second then look back at my face. "Hi," I say politely. "Alright, grandma, we're leaving after I change," he says running off into a different room. I'm left in the kitchen with his grandma. "Are you and Jaxon together?" she asks. "Oh.. Uh. No, no we're not," I say. She looks sad for a second. "Oh what a shame, you two would be so cute together," she says. Jax comes back out and we leave for the grocery store.
We pick up all the stuff I'd need and then some. We head back to my house. I go to take my braid out in the bathroom. Jax stands in the doorway. "What?" I ask innocently. "Just admiring you," he says sweetly. I blush and continue unbraiding my hair. He laughs awkwardly. "Why did I say that?" he asks himself under his breath. I walk over to him. "I thought it was nice," I say. He leans down to kiss me. Nothing interrupts it this time. This is the best I've felt since my brother died. I finally have someone like my brother in my life again.