CHAPTER 13 Compensation

THE NEXT MORNING, while Irina was working, two guards came up to her and said—

—"Come with us. The Captain would like to see you."

Amaia noticed the guards taking Irina away and began wondering what they wanted with her. 

The guards brought Irina into an office where Captain Gilmour and Detective Waters were waiting for her.

Captain Gilmour said—

—"You must be Irina Tchaikovsky. Detective Waters has something to tell you."

Irina looked at Detective Waters with her usual deadpan expression and Waters said—

—"We have some news for you."

Irina was very disinterested and wanted to leave as soon as possible.

"I've found your parents." said Waters and watched her reaction.

Irina's face twitched like she couldn't believe what she had heard. 

Detective Waters noticed Irina's reaction and continued—

—"They're in jail now. Would you like to go see them?"

Irina looked at Waters with a 'What do you mean go see them?' look. 

Then Waters showed Irina a video on a screen on the wall. 

Irina looked at the video and saw her parents locked in a cell.

She couldn't believe it, and yet, she could clearly see that those really were her parents in the cell. 

Detective Waters turned the video off and looked at Irina. 

Irina looked back at Waters with a questioning expression.

Then Waters said—

—"I know there is nothing you wanted more than to see them brought to justice. Now that they have been, would you like an opportunity speak to them again?"

Irina looked skeptically at Waters.

Waters said—

—"I could give you that opportunity, but first you must do something for us. If you successfully do it, then I'll take you to them. Is this something that would interest you?"

Irina nodded at him dubiously and Waters continued—

—"What you need to do for us is find out who has been stealing things from the ship during the night and report it to us. Understood?"

Irina nodded.

Waters said—

—"Good. At the end of today we will provide you with a key card to exit your room during the night."

Then the guards came and took Irina back to the work area where Amaia was watching intently.

Amaia followed Irina into the bathroom to talk to her. 

Irina saw Amaia walk into the bathroom and noticed that Amaia was a little more eager than usual.

"What did they want with you?" asked Amaia.

"They want me to find the one stealing from them."

"Really?"

Amaia quickly realized that Waters must have asked Irina as a back up plan and used his familiarity with Irina to manipulate her into helping him.

Then Amaia said—

—"What did they offer you?"

Irina didn't answer her, which made Amaia realize what they offered her.

Amaia said—

—"I bet they told you that they found your parents and that they can take you to them."

Irina remained silent, which confirmed for Amaia that they did tell her that.

"And you believed them?" scoffed Amaia.

Irina noticed Amaia's hand checking something in her pocket.

Then Amaia told her—

—"I'm not going to tell you what you should do, but you should know this: If I were you, I would not do it. Even if they do have your parents, they have no intention of giving you what they said, they're just using you. They have nothing that they can threaten you with, so they are trying to bribe you. Either way, whatever you decide to do, just don't do it until I use Ana to get access to that computer myself. Any information I find about your parents I'll give to you. Ask yourself, who do you trust more? Me, or them?"

"I don't trust anyone."

"Neither do I."

Then Amaia walked out of the bathroom. 

Irina started wondering what Amaia was checking in her pocket. 

Irina then walked out of the bathroom and walked over toward Amaia.

She walked behind Amaia and pickpocketed her. 

She had grabbed a key card and realized that Waters had made the same deal with Amaia. 

She then quickly walked behind Amaia again and slipped the key card back in her pocket before Amaia ever knew it happened.

AFTER THE WORK DAY WAS OVER, one guard handed Irina a key card and then she returned to her room that night. 

Irina then began to work out a number of things in her mind. 

She began weighing her options.

She didn't know whether or not Waters was telling the truth, but she did know that Amaia was going to do whatever was best for herself. 

And she realized that even if Amaia did get info about her parents on the computer, she would not just give it to her for nothing.

She realized if she did what Amaia wanted, then Amaia would report Ana to Waters first and she would lose her opportunity to do it herself.

She thought that because Amaia felt the need to conceal the fact that Waters offered her the same deal, it meant that Amaia thought that Irina might actually take the deal and sabotage her chance to access the computer for herself.

Irina thought that Amaia wouldn't bother trying to convince her if she knew for certain that Waters wouldn't deliver. 

So the fact that Amaia did bother trying to convince Irina that they weren't going to deliver, meant that Amaia believed there 'Was' an actual possibility that Waters would deliver on his promise.

Which convinced Irina enough to choose herself over Amaia. 

And she decided that she was going to go against Amaia and accept the deal from Waters the first chance that she got.