CHAPTER 11 tAke it back

Detective Waters and Captain Mason waited for the other Policemen to clear all the debris from the burned house

A Policeman walked over to Waters and said—

—"We found two bodies sir. A Man and a Woman."

Detective Waters and Captain Mason walked over to the burned house and saw the two dead burned bodies. 

Mason looked at the two bodies and said to himself—

—"Hmm. Tragic love story perhaps.?"

"What started the fire?" asked Waters.

"It appeared to be an oil lamp." said the Policeman.

Waters walked around the place and looked at the floor. 

He kicked a loose floorboard out of the floor and knelt down beside the hole. 

He looked inside the empty hole and said—

—"Well, one thing's for sure, this was no accident. This place was robbed before it was set on fire."

Waters walked over to the two bodies and looked at them. 

The two bodies looked like they were in their mid 20s. 

Detective Waters examined the two bodies and asked—

—"Who were they?"

"We found these." said the Policeman handing Waters 2 ID cards. 

Detective Waters looked at the ID cards closely as the Policeman said—

—"Names are Mila Kosovic and Magnus Kasparov."

"Hmm. Well isn't that convenient." said Waters thinking.

Then he handed the ID cards to Mason who looked at them and handed them back to the Policeman saying—

—"At least they died together huh. Anything else about this you wish to show us?"

"That's all we were able to find sir, everything else has burned." said the Policeman. 

Waters then started to walk out of the house and said to Mason—

—"I'll leave you to deal with this."

"Better hope your skills hold up, otherwise you'd have to do some actual work." said Mason.

"I'm a Detective, not a clean up man. Let me know if something else comes up." said Waters walking out the door.

MEANWHILE AT ADRIANA'S HOUSE, Rafael and Julieta went out to the market place of the city with Alex and Ana to buy some groceries. 

Adriana was at home taking care of Leo. 

Then suddenly, Adriana heard a knock on her front door and went to open it to let Rafael and Julieta back inside. 

BUT when she opened the door, she was surprised to see two Police Detectives standing there with pleasant expressions. 

Detective Waters and Captain Mason greeted her politely saying—

—"Good afternoon. I'm Police Captain Mason. This is Detective Waters. We're here investigating the disappearance of a Policeman. Is it all right if we come in and ask you a few questions?"

Adriana tried to keep her cool even though she was scared to death on the inside. 

Adriana said—

—"Please come in." and she let them inside the house.

Captain Mason sat down on the breakfast table and Detective Waters walked around the living room looking around for any kind of clues. 

As Captain Mason asked Adriana questions, Detective Waters looked inside the other rooms of the house and in every nook and cranny. 

Detective Waters looked inside of Adriana's bedroom and Adriana's heart started to beat out of her chest. 

She tried to remain calm and hoped to God that Detective Waters would not find any kind of clue.

Detective Waters knelt down on the floor and looked closely at the floorboards. 

He sensed that something about the room was wrong, but he didn't find any kind of definitive evidence or clue to suggest that something had happened in the house. 

He suspected that there was definitely something wrong, but he concluded that whatever was wrong, it had nothing to do with the dead Policeman's disappearance. 

Then Detective Waters walked out of Adriana's bedroom and said to Mason—

—"Let's go. There's nothing here."

Adriana breathed a sigh of relief on the inside and made sure it didn't show on her face.

Captain Mason got up from the table and politely said—

—"Thank you for your time."

Then Waters and Mason walked out of the house. 

Adriana closed the front door and exhaled deeply.

AFTER RAFAEL AND JULIETA RETURNED HOME, Adriana told them about the Detectives coming to ask her questions and left. 

They became worried about the detectives returning, but after a couple months had passed, they began to feel comfortable thinking that the Police were not going to find out that they were responsible for killing the Policeman.

One day, Adriana thought about how every time that something terrible happened to her in her life, that God was always there with her and guiding her. 

She thought about when her parents were sick and died and how Rafael was there for her. 

Then she thought about when she was going to be thrown out of her home and Rafael was there for her and God blessed her with a son. 

She thought about how God protected her and her son when the Policeman came. 

She became so grateful to God for everything that he had done for her and given her that she decided to become a Nun.