CHAPTER 1 echoes Part 1

RAFAEL SÁNCHEZ was a 10 year old boy with light brown hair and blue eyes who lived in the South Part of the city with his parents

He sat on the edge of a ship staring out at the ocean horizon. 

He daydreamed about flying and swimming over the sea to find some far off land. 

He did not know how to swim, but he wished that he could learn how someday.

Then suddenly, Rafael's Dad grabbed him by the back of his shirt and tugged it back really hard. 

Rafael's Dad dragged him on the ground and pulled him up scolding him—

—"¡Te dije que dejaras de hacer esto! ¡Te vas a volver loco mirando eso todo el día! ¿¡Quieres caerte y ahogarte!? ¡Vamonos!" (I told you to stop doing that! You're gonna drive yourself crazy staring at that all day! You wanna fall in and drown!? Let's go!)

Rafael's Dad pulled him by his shirt and dragged him back home.

ONE DAY DURING SCHOOL, RAFAEL SAT IN A CLASSROOM WITH OTHER STUDENTS

A young Woman Teacher stood in front of the class and addressed the students after finishing her lesson and said—

—"Are there any questions?" 

Rafael raised his hand and said—

—"Why doesn't the Government want us to know how to swim?"

The Teacher and everyone of the students turned and stared at Rafael like he was 'Oliver Twist' and had just asked 'for more.' 

One Girl in class, Adriana Caselotti, who had curly brown hair and brown eyes, looked over at Rafael. 

She was surprised like everyone else in class, but she looked impressed and intrigued by the guts that he had to ask that question.

The Teacher angrily went over to Rafael, grabbed his arm and started taking him out of the classroom saying—

—"Come with me! You're in a lot of trouble!"

LATER, Rafael's Dad and Mom angrily walked out of the Principal's office pulling Rafael out by his arm.