Chapter 22

There's a loud ringing in my ears as I struggle to rise. Reaching up to touch my head, something warm coats my fingers and I wince in pain. Bringing my hand down, I realize I'm bleeding.

Grunting, I struggle to stand once more. I manage to rise, but fall when a pain like no other shoots up my right leg.

"Cazzo(Fuck)!" I curse, on the verge of tears as I look down to see a shard of glass protruding from my thigh.

Coughing from the thick black fog of smoke in the air, I look past the burning car to see Tristan stumbling towards me. His face and clothes are covered in soot, his torn and tattered suit losing its usual pristine appearance.

Tristan eyes the shard of glass in my thigh and crouches down before me. The adrenaline starts to wear off, my heart beating a mile a minute as I start to feel everything. 

Tears spill from my eyes, my emotions running rampant. I think I'm hyperventilating because suddenly it's getting harder and harder to breathe.

"Mateo," I manage to force out as I look into Tristan's eyes.

"He's okay," he says softly. "Angel has him."

I breathe a sigh of relief knowing my baby boy is okay. I'm still hyperventilating, so Tristan smooths his thumb over my cheek. "Breathe, Sienna." 

I'm trembling, unable to focus on anything other than the searing pain in my thigh as I sobbed. "It hurts, Tristan."

His thumb swipes at the stray tears rolling down my cheek. "I know, baby." Moving his hand away from my face, he pulls out the white handkerchief from the little pocket in the front of his suit, and pushes into my mouth. "Bite down on that," he instructed, while removing his tie. "This is going to hurt."

He then orders me to look away, before placing the tie in between his teeth, the black fabric hanging from his mouth.

Turning my head, I sniffle and take in a deep breath. I'm given no warning as the glass shard is extracted from my thigh. I let out an ear splitting scream, the handkerchief falling out of my mouth.

I can hear the faint and distorted sound of Tristan calling my name. Unable to speak, my eye lids grow heavy and then suddenly I'm enveloped in total darkness.

****

My eyes fly open, the overwhelming sensation of the sun pouring through the window pane causes me to squint my eyes and avert my gaze.

Blinking, I turn my head to see Angel rushing over to my bedside. "You're awake!" There are tears pooling in his hazel eyes, concern, worry, fear, and relief written all over his boyish face.

"Wha-- What happened?" I asked weakly, my throat dry and my lips tight.

Picking up the glass of water off the nightstand, he pressed it to my lips and commanded me to take a sip.

Downing nearly half the glass, I let out a content sigh when the cool liquid touches the back of my throat.

When I attempt to pull myself up into a sitting position, Angel shakes his head, the curls atop his head moving along with him as he coaxes me back down.

"Don't try to sit up. Rest."

"What happened, Angel? Why does my body hurt so much?"

"Someone put a bomb on one of the cars." He looked down sadly. "We lost two of our guys last night." Looking back up at me, he shifted his attention down the bed. "You had a glass shard embedded in the thigh of your right leg. Tristan pulled it out and you passed out."

My memory was still a little hazy, but bits and pieces were starting to return. "Am I going to be okay?"

He nodded. "You're going to have to stay off your feet for a few weeks, but you should be up and walking in no time." He smiled. "Mrs. Lucci has Mateo." I must have had a worried look on my face because he added quickly, "he's fine. There isn't a single scratch on him."

"And Tristan? Where is he?"

Angel's smile faltered. "No one knows," he said with a shrug. "Tristan brought you back here to receive medical attention and then he left. We haven't seen or heard from him since last night."

Forcing myself upright, I get out of bed despite the twinge of pain surging through my leg. Angel backs up, a panicked expression on his face. "Wait, where are you going? You have to rest."

Staggering to my feet, I grab the crutches leaned against the wall by Tristan's bed. "I'm going to go find him."

"But you can't leave the bed. Tristan will kill me if you do."

"I won't let that happen. Now go open the door for me." 

Using the crutches, I hop towards the door. Every move I make draws out a whimper of pain from me, but I am too determined to stop now. I need to know why someone tried to kill us. Had that bomb been on the car Mateo was in...

I quickly wipe the tears in my eyes as Angel sighs and rushes over to open the door for me. I don't want to think about losing my son. I just can't. It will break me.

Making it all the way into the foyer, I ignore the protests from Tristan's men telling me to get some rest. I stop in my tracks when Rafaele steps in front of me.

"Move out of my way," I demand, not in the mood to deal with his ass.

"You should be in bed, Sienna."

"Move the hell out of my way!" I shout, raising my voice. "I'm not going to fucking ask you again!"

He stands his ground, furrowing his brows and flexing the muscle in his jaw. "You do not want to push me, Sienna. I'm not like the puppy," he says with a snarl, glancing over my shoulder at Angel before focusing back on me. "I will not hesitate to drag you by your injured leg."

Eyeing the gun in the waistband of his slacks, I let go of one of the crutches and swiftly reach for the polished weapon. Stepping back, I aim the loaded gun at his head. 

A few of Tristan's men watch from a distance, stuck in a conundrum. They can't touch me because if they do, then Tristan will kill them. But if I kill Rafaele -Tristan's second in command- then we're all dead, because I killed him with his own gun and they didn't stop me.

I'm seconds away from blowing this annoying motherfucker's brains out when the door opens and Tristan walks in. My arm moves to aim the gun at Tristan, rage boiling in my veins.

He pauses at the entrance, taking in the scene before him before settling his gaze on me. "Sienna..." he says calmly.

"No! Fuck you! I almost died last night!" I break down in tears. "Our son could have fucking died!"

"Put the gun down, Sienna."

I shook my head, trembling as the stream of tears continued to fall down my face. "I'm taking my son and I'm leaving. And if you try to stop me- I will kill you."