41 - ҭʀὗҭђ︎ ᾧὄᾗ'ҭ ṩἔҭ ẏὄὗ ғʀἔἔ

A knock on the front door sets my heartbeat racing and I glance at Izanagi before going to open it

"Do you think it's-" Izanagi asks, and I shrug. Of all the people I killed, you're telling me that Sophia is the reason why I get caught?

Ever since we watched the news a few hours ago, I've been on pins and needles waiting for the moment they would show up at my door, for this moment, and it's finally here.

"It has to be," I accept the certainty that the police are at my apartment to question me about my ex-best friend's murder. "There's no one else it could be."

Due to Izanagi's situation, he can't be by my side for this, so he kisses me before I head out to open the door, while he stays in the room.

"Good morning gentlemen, I say to the three policemen standing in front of my door. "How can I help you?"

"Good morning Ms. Violet. We have a few questions to ask you about the disappearance of Sophia Jenkins. Can we come in or would you like to come down to the station with us?"

I have the advantage here. Going to the station would do nothing but overwhelm me, so I decide to stay at the place where I would feel most comfortable and most in control, "We can stay here. Come on in."

I lead the officers to my living room and one of them catches my eye, he looks familiar. It's because he's the same man from the news earlier and he now sits on my couch facing me and speaks. "Hello, Ms. Violet. Do you know who I am?" The way he asks the question makes me blink with no readable expression on my face, and I give the most generic answer.

"The sheriff?" I pose my response as a question, so he can fall for my cluelessness. I know who he is, looked him up as soon as the initial shock of finding out he's Sophia's father wore off.

"No. I'm Stanley Jenkins, the Calabasas police chief, and Sophia Jenkins' father."

Wait.

An unbelievable thought pops into my head as his introduction does nothing to phase me. I was too focused on the fact that Sophia's murder could be my downfall that I didn't even think to ask wonder about Jenkins.

If she is right, then, is this him?

Is this who my biological father could be?

"Her father?" I continue my clueless facade and pretend to be shocked. "I've known Sophia for years and she's never mentioned that her father is the police chief."

Jenkins smiles and rubs his chin, "Security reasons." I feign dwelling on his answer, as I look at his index rubbing his chin. I recognize the beauty mark on the left of the nail bed, it's an exact copy of the one I have.

Am I talking to my biological father right now?

"We were best friends, I just can't believe she would keep this from me." Playing the victim. A page right out of Sophia's book, and perhaps out of his too. Based on what Sophia revealed to me before I killed her, the apple might not have fallen too far from the tree.