Nick's breakdown P2

Here's the much requested part 2 :)

Nick woke up late the next morning and was grateful that it was Saturday. At least he wouldn't have to see Charlie. He reached for his phone on his bedside and saw he had three missed calls and dozens of messages from him. He sighed, feeling a little bit guilty but made no effort to respond to him.

"Nick, are you getting up?" His mum called up the stairs
"Yeah"

At some point, Nelli must have got off his bed in the night or early this morning and was laying on the floor next to his door, patiently waiting for him to get up. Strangely, Nick felt the most guilt for Nelli, he usually got up early on a Saturday to walk her. Yet here he was not even out of bed at 10am.

"Sorry, Nells" He said sadly, "We'll go in a bit, okay?"
Nelli whined in response as if she actually understood what he was saying and that he was sorry.

Nick changed into his usual outfit; grey joggers, a plain t-shirt and his blue hoodie over the top. As soon as he opened his bedroom door, Nellie charged down the stairs to say good morning to Sarah and get her breakfast.

There was a cup of tea and two slices of buttered toast waiting on the dining table when Nick got downstairs. As grateful as he was, he wanted to just eat and take Nelli out but his mum was sitting at the table waiting for him.

"It's not like you to sleep in" She commented, trying her best to smile innocently although Nick knew what was coming.
"Yeah, guess I was tired"

Nick slumped down at his usual chair and took a sip of his tea. Why did tea taste so good in the morning?

"I'm not stupid, Nick" Sarah stated with that stern look on her face which told Nick that he was about to get a lecture so Nick made sure to eat quickly, "I know something happened last night and I don't expect you to tell me, but I do care" Her voice was sincere and Nick almost chocked on his toast, "I still feel a bit guilty we never spoke about what happened between me and your dad"

Nick actually choked this time and started coughing, trying to clear his throat. He resorted to gulping down tea which eventually cleared it.

"Sometimes, stuff that happened years ago can come back and affect us when we're older and I don't want that to happen to you" Sarah continued, seemingly having ignored Nick choking.
"It won't" Is all Nick managed to say which was obviously a complete lie and he got up to leave. He wanted to end this conversation as quickly as possible, "Thanks for breakfast" He added flatly, leaving his now empty mug and plate on the kitchen counter, "I'm taking Nelli for a walk"

Sarah just watched sadly as her son walked away from her and once she heard the front door click shut she began to cry. She knew kids don't tell their parents everything, but she thought her and Nick were close. She knew something had happened, something awful that Nick wasn't telling her and all she wanted to do was be there for her son. Which she couldn't do if he wouldn't tell her anything. Had she said the wrong thing? Was bringing up the divorce the wrong thing to do?

Nick walked with his head down, trying to walk at a normal pace which was difficult to do when you had an excitable dog pulling on her lead. They did their usual route together which of course Nelli knew off by heart by now. She even slowed right down to let Nick take her lead off once they got to the park.

Back at home, Nick's phone began to ring. He'd left it at home on purpose to avoid the risk of Charlie wanting to talk to him. It was Charlie ringing now, Sarah walked up to it. She knew she shouldn't, but she picked it up, hesitated for a moment before answering it.

"Hi Charlie, it's Sarah" She said, "Nick's gone to take Nelli for a walk, I don't know why he's left his phone here"
It wasn't like Nick at all which was another worrying thought for Sarah.

Heartstopper oneshots/ requestsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara