Chapter 70: The Truth

SEBASTIAN

"Fuck..." I groaned when I felt another wave of vomit trying to escape my mouth. I rested my forehead against my car's hood, Trying not to pass out in the garden.

I breathes out another curse, taking a break before my insides spewed out my mouth. I tried to open my eyes but staring at anything resulted in me getting dizzier so I shut my eyes closed.

My legs crossed themselves as I stumbled across the grass field, my vision was a blur.

I kept in mind, Kapag naabutan ako ni Archangel na passed out in the middle of the garden, he'd kill me. To other kids, that phrase was an over exaggeration they'd tell their friends when they have a hickey or a failed exam. To me, It was a threat.

I gripped onto the stair rails as I staggered towards the second floor, Barely holding myself together. When I reached the middle of the hall, I felt a sudden rush of adrenaline run in my gut. I stopped walking. My feet froze in from of a very familiar, restricted room. We were never allowed to enter the four walls as children, It was the only part of the house that was off limits.

But tonight it was open. The door ever so slightly jarring.

"That's weird..." I slowly walked towards the door and pushed the opening wider. Hindi ko pa nga nakikitang walang lock ang room na 'to. And tonight it's just wide open.

The creeped inside, closing the door behind me. Though the place was spinning from my perspective, I can still make it out to be a small office. A desk in the middle with a laptop and a few metal drawers surrounding it.

The only thing giving the room any light caught my attention. Naka-open ang laptop sa nasa gitna ng kwarto.

I don't understand.

I sluggishly walked over to the desk and stared at the screen. I shut my eyes when the bright light beamed towards me, making my already drunk brain throb.

"Jesus..." I whispered. The moment my eyes adjusted to the light, my hand moved towards the mouse. For some reason I started exploring the laptop, I had a gut feeling that I'd find something in it. Whether I was meant to or not.

My eyebrows furrowed when I realized that the reason I couldn't scroll in any direction was because an audio was open, ready to be played. I gulped, my fingers started shaking on top of the mouse. I knew I'd hear something I or Archangel didn't want to. I pursed my lips and ran my tongue in the middle of the rough and alcohol induced surface.

"Here goes nothing..." I clicked down play on the twenty two second audio.

"Kahit patayin niyo pa ako, lalabas ang totoo..."

My eyes widened. Parang nawala ang kalasingan ko when I heard the pain and anger ridden voice through the laptop. The audio had played for six seconds but I was afraid that I recognized the voice.

"I warned you, Emerson. Hindi ka nakinig. Wala kang utang na loob, Yumaman ka and your family lived comfortably because of me!" That was Archangel's voice. My mouth gaped when it hit me,

Emerson...

"Mapapatahimik mo ako, Archangel. Pero ang katotohanan? Hindi-"

I gasped, shaking. The gun shot na tumapos sa pinapakinggan ko rang in my ears.

Archangel killed Emerson Monteverde.

The realization hit me like a truck, I felt ice cold sweat run down my forehead. The only good news is, I don't think I'm drunk anymore...

"Hindi mo ba naiintindihan, Maliari?" My widened eyes shot up when I heard Arcangel's same voice call my mother outside the door. I bolted away from the laptop, almost throwing away the mouse.

"Fuck..." I whispered. I had to act quick. Before I heard him twist the door knob open, I fell to the ground and rolled under the desk.

I clenched my jaw and put my hand over my mouth, trying to suppress the sound of heavy breathing. Aminin ko man o hindi, Natatakot ako. I heard the door slam open, two sets of foot steps entering the room.

"I don't, Arki! I don't!" my eyebrows furrowed. They're talking about... Me?

"I'm warning you, Maliari. Huwag kang mangangaelam." Napalunok ako ng laway when I heard my mom sob.

"Tama na, Archangel!" Madiin ang pagkakasabi ni Mom. This is the first time I've ever heard her use that tone on him.

"I'm not letting you hurt another person..." I don't know what exactly is happening, I couldn't see them. But mom's voice was riddled with pain and guilt.

"Do you think I want to do this? This is sacrifice. Para hindi mawala sa atin ang meron tayo. Ginagawa ko 'to para sa pamilya natin."

"Naririnig mo ba ang sarili mo? These are lives we're taking about. Hindi ka ba naniniwala sa karma?" Both their voices were quiet and breathy. But they were gritted and strong.

"Karma? Karma ba ang tawag sa every day expenses mo? Shopping bags, plane tickets whenever you want? Lahat ng meron ka, Maliari,"

"Dahil 'yon pinatahimik ko si Emerson." My fingers dug into my cheek, trying not to give a reaction.

"Wala akong pakialam, Archangel! If you do as much as kay a finger on the kid, I swear to God-"

"Ano? Anong gagawin mo?"

"She was asking for it. Lahat na ginawa mo para lang manahinik siya. How many times do I have to get her arrested? At 'yang anak mo, Keeps bailing her out!"

"It's her or Sebastian." I heard my mom breathe in a pained, horrified gasp.

I would've cared that Archangel threatened to 'shut me up' as well, But there was this gut wrenching feeling that they might be talking about Allison. Hindi ko alam kung dahil ba nakainom ako or dahil ba sa nalaman ko but I feel like my stomach was in a whirl. Nakakasuka.

The second I heard the door slam shut,  my mom started sobbing.