Chapter 20: A New Problem

I still kept staring at the bruise on Ashton's face. Perhaps he was starting to notice as I was tilting my own head up just to look at him.

Just what was that pinkish bruise like spot? An insect bite maybe? It doesn't seem like one nor does it seem like a rash.

"Is there something on my face? You keep staring." he lowered his gaze and leaned his head in my direction as he pushed the wheelchair.

What should I tell him? Should I ask him what that mark on his face was?

Did he lie to me that I just fell asleep? Or am I just being delusional?

"What's that on your left cheek? Is that a bruise?" I curiously asked him.

He simply gave a dumbfounded look.

Was I right? Did I catch him?

"Eh? You mean this? Oh yes it is." He pointed at the mark on his face using his finger. Looking a bit closer, it seems like it came from a hand..

"Yes. Where did you get that from? I'm pretty sure you didn't have that earlier." I decided to press him.

He seemed confused. He furrowed his brows and gave me a frown. What's happening?

All of a sudden, Ashton stopped walking.

"I thought you remember..." he moved his gaze downwards, offering a pitiful expression.

Does this mean I really slapped him on the face? And did that "thing"?!

"Remember what..?" My face showed my nervousness to answer whatever words he had in store in response.

"That you slapped me on the face." he stated in a mocking tone staring back down at me.

My suspicions have been confirmed.

"I'm really sorry you ended up with a mark. I was just overwhelmed with what happened earlier."

I didn't mean to slap him literally. He asked me to slap him figuratively but I took it the wrong way on impulse..

He kept a poker face and made eye contact with me for a while.

"Overwhelmed by what? Talking to Cassius?" He suddenly rolled his eyes and looked away.

No.. that's not what I mean. What's his point? Is he jealous again?

"No it's not that! It's about.. what happened in the car." I awkwardly explained.

He returned his gaze back at me and we made eye contact once more. There I can see it in his eyes that he felt guilty and regretful with a sympathetic look.

"I.. I'm sorry I won't do that again. If only I knew that it bothered you this much.. I wouldn't have placed my hand on your thigh like that." He leaned forward to my level and placed both his hands on my shoulders then enclosed me with a warm hug.

His arms wrapped around me tightly as he kneeled over. It must have been uncomfortable for him to do this since I wasn't able to stand up and had to sit on a wheelchair the whole time while he has to adjust himself due to his tall height.

Still I could feel the genuineness of his apology. He doesn't really want to hurt me does he? But he does some things that are quite hard to defend.

Like for example.. what happened in the bathroom. I still remember the words that he told me.

"..Touch me please. Or I might do something terrible to you.. help me." With those words it was as if he was a beggar for affection. But while he was begging he was the type of beggar that threatens to hurt you if you do not show pity towards them and hand everything you have. Just like a robber.