Chapter 37

A month later

My family and Elodie's family was gathered in Elodie's room. Elio was in my arms and the room was filled with sadness. The papers were signed and there was no going back. Everyone tried to lighten the mood by remembering funny moments of Elodie but at the same time it only stung in the heart even more.

I had been bringing Elio to see Elodie every day, with time it got easier and he eventually understood that she wasn't in a spa and just sleeping. He still cried every night, but that's understandable.

Devon and Elodie's father has also been around and had been a lot of help. We all hoped for a miracle but at the end it was Devon who convinced us to sign the papers.

"So firstly I'm going to turn off all these" the doctor said and started turning off the monitors making the room grow more quite and the sobs filled the room.

She took the tube out of Elodie's mouth and took of all the other cords from her body.

"And now we wait" the doctor said and stood in the corner of the room as the time went by.

No.

No. No.

This can't be happening.

What have I done. What have we done.

She's not dying.

"Renzo!"

"Renzo! Wake up!"

I jumped up on the bed my heart racing and my forehead sweaty from the dream I just had.

"Did you have that dream again?" Elodie asked me as I looked over to her in the dark room and pulled her in my arms and we feel back into the bed.

"I'm okay Renzo" she said and brushed my hair.

"You're not leaving this house ever again" I said and pulled her close to me to take in her scent.

I heard her hold her breath and I knew I was hurting her. "I'm sorry" I said and she turned to face me.

"It's okay, just still sore" she said and planted a kiss on my forehead and then cuddled up in my chest.

"I love you Elodie" I whispered.

"I love you too" she said and kissed my chest and we were about to doze back off to sleep before Elio woke up and demanded to get in the bed with us.

Our little perfect family.

Elodie woke up from her coma 2 weeks ago and she's only been home for 2 days, but ever since she woke up I keep seeing these nightmares of her dying and they are so realistic that sometimes is sign even want to sleep and would sit at her hospital bed while she slept and then she would wake up and be mad that I had been up all night.

The doctor was right, Elio pushed her to recover, even since I started bringing Elio to see her she started showing brain activity and we knew that she wasn't brain dead as the doctors had first assumed.

She suffered a lot, her back hurt a lot now all the time and she can't really carry heavy things, now or ever again. And also, she won't be able to carry another child. Those had to be the most devastating news as I know that she loved to be a mother and would have tens of kids if she could and I would of course give them to her. But the bullet scraped her uterus which lead to some scarring and as doctors say, this scar won't let her carry out a pregnancy. There always a chance with IVF and other stuff but it's very slim.