fifty nine

Sydney drove down the Crenshaw street, looking at the houses for her destination.

When she saw the group of men in the yard, she knew she had arrived. After turning off the car, she grabbed her bag and got out.

One of the men came to her aid when they saw the carseat. He nodded his head to her 'thanks' then carried the seat into the home.

"What's up? Haven't seen you in a long time." Flip smiled, hugging his niece then sitting across from her in the living room.

"Yeah. Thanks again." She said to the man exiting as she checked on her sleeping sister.

"This is a crazy ask but I know you have connections and people that know things so I'm just gonna ask.." She said.

"What's up?"

"I need you to find Tyrone."

Flip smacked his lips, leaning back against the cushion.

"I've asked around, I tried to do it myself but I only have a little information. I know you can find him."

"Tell me something. Why would I find him other than to put him in a grave?"

"Jeez, is murder in the air or something? I just need to find him. We have stuff to talk about."

"Like what? What kind of stuff could you have so important that you're finally coming to see me to ask for this favor? Not even to spend time with us.. to ask.. and what do you mean you asked around? Who else did you mention this too?" Flip inquired.

"Just two others. Preach won't say anything but Coop might try to be nosey."

Flip shook his head.

"This is why you don't outsource, Syd. You got a problem, you come to me first. I always got your back."

"No you don't."

"Because you bailed, Sydney. After your mom died, you just shut us out and ran off with that idiot."

Sydney scoffed.

"My dad? The man who has legal custody of his child?" She sarcastically asked.

"Don't get smart. We haven't heard nothing from you. I don't know how you're doing unless I hear from Kia or the guys.. that's a damn shame, Sydney."

"You have guys keeping tabs on me? What is this?"

"Despite what role you think I play in all of this, I love you. You my family and I won't let nothing happen to you. Big money daddy will only bring hell down on me if I try to take you away."

Sydney shook her head.

"So you're scared of him?"

"Never scared, just smart and cautious, babygirl. It's not just about me, all of those men out there.. their lives are in my hands." Flip softly spoke, truly realizing how much of a role be played in the community.

"I'm guessing that's his kid too?" He continued when she didn't reply.

"Yeah."