twenty nine

Grace pulled her suitcase to the door, turning to see her children with their bags.

"This cabin was in your father's family for generations, and it's your father's favorite place to hide. He's ignoring my calls and texts. The only way to make sure is to show up. So, let's go. Time to roll."

Spencer nervously chuckled, scratching his head.

"I promised Sydney we'd spend this weekend together.."

"Well tell her to get ready, I don't mind. Time is ticking, Spencer."

She opened the door, stopping once she spotted Darnell.

"Hey, sorry." He apologized.

"Darnell, hey. Yeah, we're actually, just about to leave."

"I was hoping to catch you. If it's okay, um, could you give this to Corey for me? He hasn't been responding to my texts or calls."

"You can give him that letter yourself. You're family to Corey and this is a family trip. You should come."

"Are- Are you sure?" Darnell asked, looking to Spencer.

"You heard her. Let's go find Corey." Spencer reluctantly agreed, grabbing his bag and walking out.

He sighed as he facetimed his girlfriend, forcing a smile when she answered.

"Hey, wanna come to my dad's cabin this weekend?"

"Definitely."

Any opportunity to get away from home. Once they picked her up, they embarked on their journey to the cabin.

Corey walked through the living room, collecting his fishing gear. His movement halted upon hearing the car's engine turn off.

"What y'all doing here?" He angrily questioned, stepping outside as his suspicions were confirmed.

"We came to bring you home." Grace softly replied.

He looked to her then the kids, sighing.

"I'm not going."

The group watched Corey disappear into the cabin without a second thought.

"You're not even listening, man." Spencer said, following him while Sydney went with Dillon into the woods.

"So, how'd y'all figure out I was sick, anyway?" The father asked, sitting down.

"Turns out Spencer, Dillon, and Darnell can give "The Hardy Boys" a run for their money."

"So, how long you got?" Darnell voiced, annoyed with the small talk.

"Darnell, chill, man."

"Why? Y'all thinking it, too. You're just too scared to ask."

"What about chemo?" Grace inquired.

"There's no treating it this time."

"Okay, look. We get that you thought leaving us in the dark would spare us the pain of watching you... The point is, we know now. So, you can stop trying to play the emotional hero and come home with us." Spencer said.