sixty three

Sydney checked her phone, waiting on a response from Chris. She adjusted herself in the uncomfortable chair as she sipped the hot latte.

Layla, who impatiently waited in line, noticed the fellow teen when she looked around the cafe.

The Keating girl contemplated getting out of the slow line to talk to Syd. Before she could make a decision, it was her turn to step up to the counter.

While Layla ordered, Sydney took notice of the increasing occupancy. She decided that was her cue to leave before it was overly crowded.

"Hey." Layla spoke as Sydney zipped her bag closed.

"Hello." Syd replied, wondering what the girl wanted.

"Hey.. uh.. about the whole Spencer thing.. I didn't mean to push up on him the way I did. I was wrong to intrude on your relationship and I'm sorry." Layla apologized.

"Uh.. thanks. Is this because of what happened with Carrie?"

"Yeah, everyone knows about that." Layla said then scoffed.

"Sorry, it was JJ."

"Yeah, I know. As if it wasn't already embarrassing."

"How are you doing, though?" Syd checked.

Layla shrugged, slightly chuckled then shook her head.

"I'm.. making it. My therapist is really trying and my dad is super overbearing. He keeps pushing for family sessions and, I.. I mean I don't think I can do it."

"So don't." Sydney stated.

"But that'll hurt his feelings."

"Worse than whatever reason you have for not doing family sessions?"

Layla sighed.

"I just don't want to see the hurt on his face when I tell him the truth."

Sydney frowned at her words as she thought about her own father.

"Maybe you should just tell him." Sydney suggested.

"Yeah, you're not helping."

"Wasn't trying to." Sydney replied with a smile as her phone vibrated on the table.

"Just tell him though. I mean, you could've died. Maybe it's time to say what you need to and stop holding it in. But I'll catch you later." Sydney said, stepping past the young couple.

"Yeah?" She spoke, answering once she was outside.

"Hey, I need a favor." Roman said, holding his phone at an angle.

"No."

"Alright. I'll send you the address. Can you come now though?"

Sydney rolled her eyes then looked at the time.

"Sure." She replied.