forty two

"Whenever she was pregnant, like, she would eat everything, Bro." Jordan laughed, remembering Simone's cravings.

Asher and JJ laughed, thinking of the times they'd gotten to witness it. The trio's smiles dropped when Spencer joined them.

"What up, J? Everything good? Simone doing okay?"

"Simone's fine." Jordan simply answered, adjusting the pool stick in his hand.

"What are you doing here, Spence? I mean, now, seeing as Beverly is in your past. We figured you'd keep it that way." JJ sadly spoke.

"That reporter twisted my words." Spencer defended himself.

"Forget it. Yo, who's up for some cutthroat pool?" Jordan asked, going over to the pool table.

"Y'all got some room for us?
Or are you afraid of a little friendly competition?"

Sydney turned her head to see Cameron and Dane approaching the group.

"The more, the merrier." Jordan agreed, not minding tormenting Spencer.

Sydney sipped her smoothie, quietly watching the boys play. The tension was so thick you could cut it with a knife.

"Oh, okay. So we're using illegal moves now, huh?" Jordan checked Spencer.

"You accusing me of cheating?"

"Jordan, he's on your team, dude." Asher said.

"Oh, my bad. I guess I forgot. It's hard to tell where your loyalties lie these days, Spence." Jordan stated, turning to walk away.

"Hold up, hold up, hold up. Stop being a bitch, man. If you got something to say to me, just say it."

Jordan scoffed then chuckled, swiftly turning to punch Spencer in the face.

"Jordan, what the hell!" Layla's voice sounded through the establishment as the crowd silently watched.

"What, Spence?!"

Spencer clutched his temporarily numb arm, breathing through the pain. He suddenly swung to retaliate the hit with his uninjured arm.

"What the hell is wrong with you?"

While the boys were being separated, over at the Slauson Cafe, Mo entered, approaching Coop with a smile.

"Tamia Cooper, I've been waiting to finally meet you."

"Enough of the B.S. What you want?" Coop directly asked.

"I want to make amends. When I first came to town, I was hellbent on revenge. But over the summer, I had some time to calm down, do some digging of my own. My brother terrorized this community, and I'm sorry. I was his sister and instead of protecting him, I left him behind to save myself. That's why I went to D.A. Baker and got the ammo I needed to get Preach released." Mo admitted.

"How is that even possible?" Coop questioned, not thinking to ask if the woman knew Tyrone's whereabouts.

"Preach's first strike was a marijuana possession years ago. Marijuana's legal now. I got that initial charge overturned which makes his current charge a second strike, not a third. And he's already spent more than enough time in prison for that. Now, if you would let me, I would like to keep making amends."