thirty

"You need to eat."
Savannah told Roman.

It had been a few weeks since Corey and Lauren had passed. The family members were still getting their emotions back in order..

Roman didn't know how to feel. He was upset, angry, confused, maybe a little happy..

"Roman. Are you listening?" Savannah softly nudged him.

He cleared his throat, nodding and focusing on the man across from them.

"As I was saying, sir, we have something to discuss with you."

"I know. You've been blowing up my phone. What is it that I couldn't possibly know?"

"It appears that your wife-"

"Her name is Lauren.." He corrected the man, feeling disgusted with the word.

"I apologize, sir. As I was saying, it appears that Lauren was carrying at the time of her passing."

"No one noticed this?" Savannah questioned.

He nervously cleared his throat, shaking his head.

"No.. well, Ms. Williams was severely intoxicated. According to the police report, she ran through several red lights, becoming unconscious before crashing into the tree.."

"So she killed herself?" Roman blurted.

"You can be honest."

The man rapidly shook his head.

"Sir, I'm not in a place to say."

"Then leave. You came here to give me sad news? Guess what, the baby wasn't mine." Roman cackled.

Savannah fearfully watched him, looking to the uncomfortable guest.

"If it's okay, he's done. Thank you for coming."

The man quickly rushed out of the residence as Roman's laughter turned to tears.

He moved to pour him a drink then instantly gulped it down. His chuckles then filled the air.

"She was pregnant and drunk. I'm glad it wasn't mine.."

Roman threw the glass at the wall, screaming as it shattered.

Savannah gulped, standing to the side as she resisted the urge to tell him that she was expecting.

On the other side of town, Dave stood at the riverbank, sobbing. Lauren's ashes had been spread there by Sydney's wishes.

He felt his heart aching as he thought about the last time he'd seen Lauren. A piece of him was grateful for that beautiful memory instead of the image of her mangled, unrecognizable body.

He couldn't begin to understand why she would do this. Could it have been an accident?

"What did you do?" He lowly spoke, staring at the flowing water.